Need help to cancel my contract after leaving the country

  • 4 June 2024
  • 1 reactie
  • 24 keer bekeken

I am at the end of my rope. I have been trying to cancel my internet service for weeks and am blocked at every avenue. I have now left the country to return to my home in the U.S. to care for my pregnant wife. I was told prior to leaving that I could not cancel my internet until I had left the country. I attempted to cancel my service by reporting the move using a proof of declaration. Despite being told by a KPN customer service representative (while I was still in the Netherlands) that this would be enough, my request was denied by KPN who demanded another document in PDF form which, after looking into it, does not come in PDF format. All attempts to cancel my internet without reporting the move gets rerouted to the KPN customer service phone number. As I have already moved, I no longer have access to my Dutch phone number and so cannot call customer service. When I have gotten into the chat, which is exceedingly convoluted, there is a request to talk to a real person which gets rerouted back to the unhelpful chatbot or back to the KPN customer service number. I cannot find any email address to reach out to customer service with. As someone who has worked in customer service for 10+ years, KPN’s customer service is one of the poorest I have ever seen.

If anyone can help with either cancelling my service myself or getting in touch with a real person at KPN I would really appreciate it. At this point, although the internet service itself was reliable, I will actively recommend any xpat’s steer clear of KPN for their ISP lest they get locked into an uncancellable contract.


Beste antwoord door Maja van KPN 6 June 2024, 14:27

Bekijk origineel

1 reactie

Reputatie 7
Badge +20

I'm very sorry to hear this is causing you so much trouble @Hank II  ☹️

In order to cancel, we need one of the following documents:

  • The official proof of deregistration of the municipality where you used to live including a signature/stamp/date of departure, as a PDF file 
  • A signed statement of employment, or a statement of your study at a school/university abroad, as a PDF file

As I understand it, you have the correct document, but it isn't a PDF file. Is it a digital document? If so, there are some ways of converting it to a PDF. Or is it a document on paper? If so, you can take a picture of it with your phone, and ‘print’ the picture. That way you can choose to print it or save it as a PDF (at least on my Android phone)

It's possible to call KPN customer service from abroad, using +316 1200 1200. The departement that handles cancellation in case of immigration, is not available by phone however, so you will not be able to speak to them directly. I would advise you to email all of your customer info, ánd the right document to That way your situation wil be handled by the right departement. It can take up to 2 weeks before you get a response, depending on how busy they are.