Skip to main content

Dear KPN forum,

I have today moved to KPN from budget alles in 1 (mainly due to higher speeds available only at KPN 200mb vs 100).

I use my own modem and router (Zyxel VMG4005-B50A and asus rt-ac86u), I also have 2 VPN connections active, one for my LG TV oled55 and one for all the other.

When the TV is tunneled through the VPN the KPN TV app refuses to login (which is logical). I wonder if I could get the IP address (range) to whitelist, so that only the KPN TV app won’t be tunneled and other uses will remain tunneled.

Kind regards

John

Why do you use a VPN connection for your television?

Is that for being able to use Netflix as if you are in another country?

Can you monitor the connections made by the iTV app when the VPN is disabled for the television.

Do you use a VPN app on the LG television or is it running on your Asus?

Why do you use a VPN connection for your television?

Is that for being able to use Netflix as if you are in another country?

Can you monitor the connections made by the iTV app when the VPN is disabled for the television.

Do you use a VPN app on the LG television or is it running on your Asus?

Hi wjb, the VPN is on the router, I am not really sure which benefits I am getting from tunneling the TV through VPN, most titles work in Netflix without a VPN. Maybe I became overly obsessed with the "safety and privacy" that VPN companies sell.

I am not sure how could I monitor connections made by the iTV app, perhaps there is a way in the Asus GUI. I'm now walking outside, it's a lovely day, in case no one has the needed ip addresses, then I'll try to dig through the Asus GUI to find more about open connections of the iTV app. 

Kind regards and thanks for any help 

John

Maybe I became overly obsessed with the "safety and privacy" that VPN companies sell.

And what they sell isn't even true. The only "safety and privacy" you get is that your IP address is not visible on the Internet but besides that there is no safety advantage at all.

They pretend to also provide an encrypted communication but please note, this is only between your Asus and the VPN server, the whole route between the VPN server and the host/website you access is not encrypted at all. ("Fake security")

In my opinion the disadvantages of such VPN services are far bigger than the advantages and absolutely are not worth the money you pay for it. Only when you are a (semi)professional gamer it might bring some advantage as in that world people tend to use DDoS attacks to help them winning from opponents that are otherwise unbeatable and therefore hiding your real IP address is preferrable.