Skip to main content

Hi,

I have a bit of a problem…

I have my meter cupboard outside of my Appartment. My optical fibre connection is also there, forcing me to put my router there.

This is a bit annoying, as I told the kpn shop that the rooms have an odd looking 4 pin socket and wanted to know if I collect the router to that.. they said yes that is correct.

Now I have installed the router In said cupboard, I noticed 3 cables not connected to anything (I believe these could be from the odd 4 pin connector?)

However, I have been instructed by my office, I need to have a cable connection between my work pc and my router and I need to be able to work from home in an emergency.

Might those cables be able to be used in making the sockets an ethernet socket or could it be possible to somehow connect an ethernet cable to that cable and somehow pull it though? I do not know how long those cables might be as the Appartment is quite big.

Does anyone have any idea?

The socket looks like this

https://www.elektramat.nl/media/catalog/product/cache/7254b39789edebd7b7c366a3fbcd6106/4/0/4010337279273-jpg.jpg

Thank you!

The connector you are showing is for POTS (analogue telephone connection). You cannot use these connectors / wiring for networking purposes.

There is a chance that indeed a wire is running through a PVC pipe from the room where such a connector is present, all the way to your cupboard. If that is so, then you are in luck! You may then be able to replace existing POTS wiring with a CAT5e cable from the cupboard to the room where you intend to work.

The CAT5E cable connects to your modem in the cupboard and also to your PC/laptop.

Now, be careful as replacing wiring is sometimes not possible (if it does not run through a PVC pipe), and even if it is possible, it may not be trivial depending on distance, and the number of bends in the pipe. You would typically fix the CAT5e cable at one end, and pull the cable through. Be sure to do that with two persons; one pulling, and one feeding the CAT5e cable.

Thank you for your reply. So basically I get a long cat5e cable and stick duct-tape to both ends and pull along with another person feeding the cable while hoping it will be in the pvc tube all the way through?

I can give that a try. 

Thank you for your reply. So basically I get a long cat5e cable and stick duct-tape to both ends and pull along with another person feeding the cable while hoping it will be in the pvc tube all the way through?

I can give that a try. 

Be aware of the fact that you have to cut off any connectors. They will not fit through the tubing. Before applying the duct tape, strip both cables, so that you can tie the individual wires of both cables together. When you only use duct tape, you run a decent chance of separating the cables somewhere inside the PVC tubing.

You should use solid full copper Cat6 cables when pulling them through electricity tubes and mount them on both sides on a cat6 wall-socket.

Just cutting of the plug from a flexible (non solid) Cat cable is not advisable.