Skip to main content

Hi all 

I am the few using english to ask questions, hopeful it won't bother everyone too much and get some help. 

What internt i have from KPN:
1) Only internt, no telephone or IPTV;
2) The internet setup at my place is: fiber --> NT --> Experiabox v10

What I want:
1) I would like to replace the Experiabox v10 with my own router (xiaomi ax1800)
2) If this works, i would like extend to mesh with another ax1800/ax3600

Why:
1) I notice that the internet is not powerful for all devices used now, especically work from home (3 cellphones, 4+ PCs, 1 NAS, 20+ home devices, and lots of video calls everyday), I suffers several internet crashs during daytime, and unstable connections.
2) I have tried keep the Experiabox cool, away from sun, separated 2.4Ghz + 5Ghz, added extra rounter..., not satisfied.

What problem:
1) I tried configure my own router with pppoe, the username is copied from the Experiabox v10, aa-bb-cc-dd-ee@internet (mac address of Experiabox v10), but dont know the passcode?
2) Read lots of discussions here and netwerkje.com, tried with 'ppp', 'kpn', or 'random', does not work. 

Thanks for any suggestion in advance!

*Admin: topic verplaatst naar juiste board

*Admin: topic samengevoegd met bestaand topic

I don't know what the question is but I assume you face difficulties in setting up a pppoe connection.

The pppoe connection needs to be setup on vlan 6.

The username and password may be anything as long as both are filled.

I don't know what the question is but I assume you face difficulties in setting up a pppoe connection.

The pppoe connection needs to be setup on vlan 6.

The username and password may be anything as long as both are filled.

Hi, thanks lots for your fast response! 

So I need to setup my own router to vlan 6 for pppoe? 

That's correct.

See https://kpn.com/eigenmodem

Google translate:

I have (bonded or vectored) VDSL2, VPlus or FTTH Fiber-optic internet
 Internet

• PPPoE over VLAN 6 (802.1q).
  • PPPoE authentication PAP with a username and password (eg internet / internet).
  • Maximum packet size (mtu) 1500 bytes (rfc4638)
  • Obtain IPv4 address + DNS servers via PPPoE
  • IPv6 address range + DNS servers (IPv6) via DHCPv6-PD request (in PPPoE). Using an address from range for router.

That's correct.

See https://kpn.com/eigenmodem

Google translate:

I have (bonded or vectored) VDSL2, VPlus or FTTH Fiber-optic internet
 Internet

• PPPoE over VLAN 6 (802.1q).
  • PPPoE authentication PAP with a username and password (eg internet / internet).
  • Maximum packet size (mtu) 1500 bytes (rfc4638)
  • Obtain IPv4 address + DNS servers via PPPoE
  • IPv6 address range + DNS servers (IPv6) via DHCPv6-PD request (in PPPoE). Using an address from range for router.

Great thanks! 

Thanks wjb  again. 

I have successfully replaced the experiabox v10 with my own router (xiaomi ax1800) and here I share some tips if anyone wants to do that, it is not very easy but takes a bit time to do that.

1. Get the access to the root of ax1800 (google with ax1800, vlan tagging);
  2. Using WinSCP to login  and in the file ‘etc/config/network’, modify the ifname ‘eth0’ to ‘eth0.6 ’ (2 locations)
  3. Save and quit 
  4. Restart the root,
  5. Then, choose pppoe in the router, fill the username and passcode: aa-bb-cc-dd-ee@internet, ppp or whatever.
  6. Done! 

The improvement:

1. Way faster and more stable connection with loads of devices. 
  2. It covers every corner where was no sign before.

Good to read that managed to connect your own router.

I assume that you have an Internet only subscription (no TV), is that correct?

Yes. I only have internet. But I have also checked, it is possible to put a extra switch and TV and telephone can be adapted. 

Yes. I only have internet. But I have also checked, it is possible to put a extra switch and TV and telephone can be adapted. 

For television there is much more to configure from which I doubt if the xiaomi will support it. For IPTV from KPN the router must be able to connect as a DHCP cliënt to vlan 4 as well and it must have an IGMP proxy server that can connect on vlan 4.

If you want to learn some Dutch or if you trust Google translate then see "Use your own router behind an Experia Box".

For television there is much more to configure from which I doubt if the xiaomi will support it. For IPTV from KPN the router must be able to connect as a DHCP cliënt to vlan 4 as well and it must have an IGMP proxy server that can connect on vlan 4.

If you want to learn some Dutch or if you trust Google translate then see "Use your own router behind an Experia Box".

Thanks for the reply and information.

Yes, I also went through that article.  It is very useful.

The xiaomi ax1800 is based on open-wrt and I found some successful examples from internet, but I have not tried yet. I will post here if I make some attempts. 

Thanks wjb  again. 

I have successfully replaced the experiabox v10 with my own router (xiaomi ax1800) and here I share some tips if anyone wants to do that, it is not very easy but takes a bit time to do that.

1. Get the access to the root of ax1800 (google with ax1800, vlan tagging);
  2. Using WinSCP to login  and in the file ‘etc/config/network’, modify the ifname ‘eth0’ to ‘eth0.6 ’ (2 locations)
  3. Save and quit 
  4. Restart the root,
  5. Then, choose pppoe in the router, fill the username and passcode: aa-bb-cc-dd-ee@internet, ppp or whatever.
  6. Done! 

The improvement:

1. Way faster and more stable connection with loads of devices. 
  2. It covers every corner where was no sign before.

2 years later this comment helped me haha, thank you!