Skip to main content

Hello everyone, 

i hope you all are doing fine during those times. 

I would like to change my current ISP and I have heard the best about KPN lately, though I would like to ask something in regards to using my own device insted of the router the company provides.
I currently use a “D-Link DSR-1000AC Dual band (2.4 GHz / 5 GHz) Gigabit Ethernet Black” wireless router with a normal access point from the same company. 

My question is: if i were to be getting a new internet contract with KPN, will I be able to use my own router? Also, will it be possible to work over VPN connections with the service and my own router (device supports that) 

Thanks alot for taking your time to answer guys, stay safe and don’t forget to wash your hands! 

Kind regards, 

Mihai

*Admin: topic verplaatst naar juiste board

Do you want a Television subscription as well from KPN?

Do you have a VDSL connection of a glas fiber connection?

What type of VPN connections do you use? (L2TP/IPSec, IKE/IPSec, OpenVPN, PPTP, other?)

Do you also have incoming VPN connections to your router or only outgoing?

Topics that might be of interest for you (in Dutch :rolling_eyes: ):

- Use your own router instead of the Experia Box

- Use your own router behind the Experia Box

Thanks for your fast reply! 

I would not take a television subscription.

Regarding the connection, after doing the test on your website, the following came out: “At your address we offer the normal and reliable standard internet via the network of KPN.” so I will presume that there is no glas fiber connection. 

The VPN connections I have are outgoing and the type of VPN connection is OpenVPN for now.

Please note that I am a customer of KPN and, just like you, member of this forum.

So, that's a VDSL connection. Therefore you can't your router directly to the network but, since you don't use incoming IKE/IPSec VPN connections it is no problem to connect your router as DMZ Host of the Experia Box.

So use Google translate (or learn Dutch :wink: ) for the topic Use your own router behind the Experia Box.

Yes, should be VDSL. I have also heard that it is possible to request the implementation of fiber for an area that is not covered. I am not sure how that is supposed to work but someone who uses KPN told me that. 

Setting up DMZ is easy, therefore that should not be a problem, it’s just sad that there is no other way besides this one. 

Thanks alot for your quick answer, it was really helpful! 

Reageer