Skip to main content

Before I left the country ( almost a month ago) I contacted KPN support via email to terminate my contract. It had the document for deregistration. The support called me a few days later, asked me a few questions and I thought the job was done. Apparently not. The contract is still active. Looking for further assistance.

Hi @SBBankov, have you received (by e-mail) a confirmation of the termination? If so, everything should be in order with the actual termination. Although it is possible that termination and bill date crossed each other. In which case you will receive a credit bill later.

If you have not received confirmation of the termination, then something has gone awry. Could you fill in your forum profile and reply here when you've done so? I'll take a look.

I have not received a confirmation of termination by KPN indeed. I updated my forum profile.

Thank you, @SBBankov. I looked into it, and I found the problem. The documentation you supplied has been rejected.

On June 22, you sent in the emigration cancellation form. You got an automated confirmation of the sending of that form. Then, on the 23rd, our back office rejected the proof because the file could not be opened. You were informed of this via email. The next day you mailed us back a pdf copy of the file. This we could open, but unfortunately it's not the right document. 

What you sent us is de 'vertrekaangifte' which is the announcement to the county that you are going to leave. It is not actual proof that you have left. It even says so, in Dutch, at the top of the document, 'Dit is geen bewijs van uitschrijving'. Which means, 'this is not a proof of deregistration.'

So, what you need to do is get the actual proof of deregistration (Bewijs van uitschrijving) which includes an official stamp and/or signature and such. Scan/photograph that, and e-mail it to us as a pdf file to the e-mail address that is known to you.

After that has been received and approved, the back office will process the cancellation dating back to the date of deregistration.

Thank you for the assistance. Do you know how to get the actual proof? And if so can I do it online because I am not in the Netherlands..yeah

Usually you get the ‘Bewijs van uitschrijving’ from the county when the deregistration has been processed. If you did not, you can't get that later. But, you can get an extract of the Non-Residents Records Database (RNI).  Which is sort of the same thing. This extract can be requested from one of 19 counties with a specific RNI desk. Here is a generic information page about requesting an RNI extract. And here's a list of all the municipalities that have an RNI desk. There will be a fee, and the process might not be exactly the same for all of them. Some might let you request it online, others might require a presonal visit by either yourself, or someone on your behalf. So, I suggest you look through the list and see which one works for you and your situation.

Additionally, there are a few different kinds of RNI extract. It's probably best to choose ‘other’ so you can indicate what kind of information the municipality should add to the extract. Make sure that it lists at least your address in the Netherlands, and the date of deregistration.

Alternatively, another accepted proof is a valid work contract in your current country. That contract needs to have your personal details, signature and/or stamp of the company of organisation you work for, plus details of where you work, and when the contract started. 

Or, if you are attending school in your current country, a statement from the school that you are enrolled is also accepted. That statement needs to have your personal details, signature and/or stamp of the school, plus start date of the school term. 

Thank you for replying. I have started working recently in my country so I will use the contract as evidence.

Alternatively, another accepted proof is a valid work contract in your current country. That contract needs to have your personal details, signature and/or stamp of the company of organisation you work for, plus details of where you work, and when the contract started.  

Silly question but is the proof (work contract) for the municipality/RNI desk or for KPN. Does it need to be translated? Thank you in advance.

Silly question but is the proof (work contract) for the municipality/RNI desk or for KPN. Does it need to be translated? Thank you in advance.

Not silly at all! The contract is for us. And as long as the contract is in English it does not need to be translated. If it is in another language, you'll have to have a translation done to either English or Dutch.