Skip to main content

I arrived in Japan on 9 May. I picked up a rental WIFI device at the airport so that I would be connected to Internet immediately after my arrival. What I did not know was that I had to manually switch off the data roaming on my KPN SIM card. Two days later I found out that there was an additional EUR 23.5 charges on my subscription due to 9 MB data which my mobile phone had used before I turned off the data roaming. 

Afterwards I have read several articles about this matter, and understand that this is something KPN does to its customers as part of their standaard procedures, and some people even support KPN saying that it is written in the contract.

Nevertheless I cannot help but feel cheated by this extremely mean practice. 

I want to have this extra charges canceled. Otherwise I will quit KPN and go back to my previous provider. 

I understand you're surprised by the costs of roaming in Japan.

Within Europe, you are free to roam using your bundle. However, when visiting a country outside of Europe, extra charges apply. Using internet in Japan costs 2,50 per MB.

If you want to make sure you don't get extra charges, it's your own responsibility to turn off data roaming.

We now also offer the possibility to shut off data roaming outside of the EU entirely by texting BESCHERMING AAN to 1266. If you then wish to use data outside the EU, you can text BESCHERMING UIT to 1266. But beware, this turns off all roaming protection. So you have to be extra careful.

"If you want to make sure you don't get extra charges, it's your own responsibility to turn off data roaming."

This is precisely the problem with KPN. How arrogant! 

But it's not just KPN, though. Every provider will charge extra for data roaming. That is because the providers abroad have to be paid for allowing you to use their service. And since you're using their service, it's you paying the extra charges.

Besides, we are required to allow data roaming. So if you don't want to use data roaming, it is up to you to turn this off.

I never had this problem with my previous providers (T-Mobile and Vodafone).  In the Forum, somebody else said the following. I cannot agree more! Never Nooit KPN Mobiel !

Gertjan Woudenberg

Helper

94 reacties

10 maanden geleden

Dit is een gevolg van de laksheid van KPN om hun klanten hiertegen te beschermen. Andere providers beschermen hun klanten wel tegen dit soort onverwachte kosten. Maar ondanks dat veel mensen hier tegen aan lopen, ondanks vele verzoeken dit aan te passen blijft KPN stront eigen wijs en doet er niets aan. 

Om precies deze reden voor mij never nooit KPN mobiel. 

@Dutchie61 Heb jij aandelen KPN ? 

We now also offer the possibility to shut off data roaming outside of the EU entirely by texting BESCHERMING AAN to 1266. If you then wish to use data outside the EU, you can text BESCHERMING UIT to 1266. But beware, this turns off all roaming protection. So you have to be extra careful.

@Denise van KPN, Please note that it will never be necessary to text “BESCHERMING UIT” to 1266 in order to use data outside of the EU. The only thing needed is to activate an outside EU databundle. I have not yet met the first customer that voluntarily will use data outside of the EU without an active databundle.

I advise all customers to text “BESCHERMING AAN” to 1266 and never never never change that setting again.

It would have saved me the unnecessarily incurred cost if all subscribers of KPN were ‘protected’ by default from the outrageous high roaming cost outside EU. 

It would have saved me the unnecessarily incurred cost if all subscribers of KPN were ‘protected’ by default from the outrageous high roaming cost outside EU. 

Your absolutely right and I have requested KPN dozens of times to by default set the protection for new subscriptions. I also suggested to activate the protection on all existing subscriptions and send a sms to explain the reason for the activation of the protection. It would have avoided a lot of disappointed customers and wil avoid lots of disappointed customers in the future.

@wjb You are right, it is indeed not necessary to text BESCHERMING UIT to 1266 to use data outside of the EU if you're using a data bundle. If you want to use data without bundel, it is, however, necessary.

And I understand you both want to be protected by default. And we have opted for this multiple times, but it's not going to happen. It's up to the costumer to inform and protect themselves.

If you want to use data without bundel, it is, however, necessary.

But there is absolutely nobody on this world who wants to use data outside of the EU without a databundle and pay €2,50 per MB.

And I understand you both want to be protected by default. And we have opted for this multiple times, but it's not going to happen. It's up to the costumer to inform and protect themselves.

I find this highly objectionable. I will ask de ACM to enhance the guidelines for providers with respect to the protection of the customers for these exorbitant costs. I know I have little chance in forcing the providers to block the databundle by default but still I will try as I can't disagree more with the position of KPN.

Reageer