Skip to main content

I’ve been trying to cancel my account since October when I moved back to the United States. I explained I was moving and was told they needed a letter that I had deregistered from the gemeente.  So I deregistered and sent them the confirmation e-mail I received. Never heard back until getting an e-mail just now that they had withdrawn another 54 euros from my bank account.  Is there any way to stop this other than shutting down my bank account?

Hi @James17! Happy New and Thank you for contacting us!

I’m sorry to hear that you didn't get feedback or a confirmation of your cancellation. How did you send us the confirmation of proof of deregistration from the gemeente? We have an online form where you can upload this document :point_right_tone4:Emigratie doorgeven
When you fill in this form, you will receive an automatic reply that we have received your form + upload and after your uploaded proof is approved, you will receive a confirmation of your cancellation within a week.

Because you’ve already send us this proof, I’m advising you to contact directly our department “Opzeggingen” (Cancellations): you can contact them by chat. 
You can start a chat on our website :point_right_tone4:  contactpagina. Click on ‘Administratie’ and then on “Ik heb een andere vraag en wil graag contact hebben'. You can start a chat with one of my colleagues by clicking on ‘Naar chat’.

Thank you @Shyrin_ .

I had attached a copy of the e-mail the city sent me saying that I had deregistered. I didn’t receive a confirmation but I did receive another bill.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯    I’ll try the chat link you sent. 

Ah.  Received a new KPN e-mail this morning.  My request was rejected because I need to submit

Officieel "Bewijs van uitschrijving" oude gemeente of arbeidscontract/verklaring studieinstelling in het buitenland.

Which, alas, begs the question of what constitutes proof.  I’m guessing a photograph of today’s paper and me shoveling a foot of snow from my Minnesota driveway won’t suffice.  I’ll see if the gemeente has something that looks proofy. 

I don't think that is neccessary…:wink:  An official proof of deregistration of the gemeente will do and is certainly enough! 

My GP and insurance company has accepted that I’m no longer there.  

I ordered a certificate from national government that shows all three of my city registrations.  Maybe that’ll do the trick.  If not, I’m at a loss in terms of guessing what will be suitable evidence. 

You don'’t have to guess: when you receive the confirmation of deregistration of the gemeente, you can download a official proof of deregistration of the gemeente: that's what our department “Opzeggingen” (Cancellations) need, in order to cancel your subscription. If you have anymore question, please contact this department directly: you can contact them by chat. 
You can start a chat on our website :point_right_tone4:  contactpagina. Click on ‘Administratie’ and then on “Ik heb een andere vraag en wil graag contact hebben'. You can start a chat with one of my colleagues by clicking on ‘Naar chat’.

I contacted The Hague’s gemeente and they said that other than the e-mail they sent, I’d have to request an abstract from the national government.  I did that, it arrived by mail after a week and I resubmitted my cancellation request on 18 January.  As of 5 minutes ago, it looks like my account is still active. 

Tried to chat to confirm but got caught in the time difference.