Skip to main content

I terminated a monthly home internet subscription (in my partner's name) two months ago, as we were vacating a short term rental by 31 October. I respected the one-month notice and got a confirmation email stating the desired cancellation date, 1 November. This email stated that KPN would reach out to her by phone, which they eventually did (at least three weeks later) only to tell that we would have to do it (as apparently, it was not that person's job to deal with cancellation; so why ring her in the first place?).

We were both out of Nederland in two different countries by that point, so calling a Dutch 0800 or a +31 was not the most practical (how convenient that there is no other way to reach out). But never fear! The confirmation email also stated that in the case they would not have been able to speak to us within that one-month period, the subscription would still be cancelled at the desired date. Nice and easy.

So it came a bit as a surprise when, on 31 October, I received an email from a surprised KPN telling me that another operator was taking other the connection, but that I would still have to pay until I cancel the subscription myself. The one I had cancelled a month ago. The cancellation that was confirmed by email. And indeed, we were invoiced for the full month of November. And I suspect December will follow. I would very much like it to end, and to be reimbursed for the excess payment. But I am not in the Netherlands, nor will be in the near future. So please do not tell me to ring 0800-0402.

Hi @Nmks, welcome. 

I totally understand you want it to end. But unfortunatley it didn't. Will you please leave the name on the contract, zipcode + housenumber in your profile and let me know when you did. I will look into it. 

Can you also tell me the exact dates:

When you filed the determination?

Date of determination?

Hi Bart,
I have added these details.
The date of termination is 1 November. I received the confirmation email on 2 October, so I suppose I filled on that day.

Thank you. I see you found another provider. 31 oct we received that notice. the 14th of november we sent you another mail that we will determine you subcription the 14th of december. After that you will receive the last invoice. You will be credited if you paid too much.

We did not find another provider. The persons who moved into the apartment we had vacated did. Which I mentioned in my original message.
The contract should have ended on the 1st of November. We have paid two full months since then. We have definitely paid too much.

I do not see that. There is no determination. Only a notification on the 31th of octobre that a new provider will take over the line. 

Thats all I see, no more contact with us about this subject. 

And yet I received this on 2 October:

You are right. I didn't see that mail. But your subcription had to be determined november the first. So a made a refund from 1 november till december 14th. After that you will receive the last invoice and you will get everything refunded after 14 december.