Skip to main content

Dear all,

The equipment is the Arris Set-top box and router from ASUS which I use a 2nd router.

The system itself works perfect until the set-top provides a TV signal, from this point on the WI-FI signal becomes unstable.

Pretty much all possibilities are excluded (software, programming, distance, signal and channel check with software, different electricity circles, TV itself ...).

What it comes down to is this, as soon as the set-top box is connected AND provides a TV signal the wireless becomes unstable.

I had the same 2nd set-top box, connected this one and as it box was connected for 5 years it first had to updated software connect to me KPN account which took approx. 5 minutes the signal was stable. As soon as the box has finished it’s updates and started to show a TV picture the signal was unstable again.

Anyone an idea?

Stay safe and healthy,

Stefan

Is the tv settopbox connected to the Asus? Then it will give problems because of de IGMP Snooping. The Asus will not do that so that the tv signal is on all ports and the wifi of the Asus. It will block them completely indeed.

Connect the settopbox directly to de Experiabox of kpn and it will work properly. The router in the Experiabox has IGMP Snooping so the tv stream wil only go to the port of the STB. The Asus on another port than has no tv stream and wil work.

IGMP Snooping gives a IGMP TV stream only to the port whitch asks for it.

Dear Peter,

That’s great info, thank you.

Would you know, when swopping the 2 routers meaning using the Asus router first and Experia box 2nd if this problem will remain?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

With kind regards,

Stefan

By swopping you will have no services at all i think.

Then the tv streams will always have to go thru the Asus (towards the Experia en then STB) with the same problems.

An own modem/router can work if it supports IGMP TV streams. As far as i know the Asus does not.

Only in Dutch: Use your own modem (how to install; very complex). The modem you use must be able to support IGMP TV-streams. That also applies for a router (used as switch) behind the Experia when the STB’s are connected to that router/switch).

Dear Peter,

Problem solved. Turns out that ASUS has a setting to en/disable IGMP Snooping, 2 clicks and wireless works like a dream.

https://www.asus.com/me-en/support/FAQ/1011438/

Couldn’t have done without you, thank you so much and have a great day.

With kind regards,

Stefan  

Enjoy your setup!