Skip to main content

I have optic fiber in my home and a modem from KPN already installed, left from previous owner. It is consuming power and blinking with leds. Simultaneously KPN is asking me to wait for more than 10 day to connect to internet. Can’t this device be just re-used?

Yes no problem

But how to do this?

Apart from the kpn modem for fiber optic there should also be ONT (optical network terminator) device connected to the fiber optic cable. This converts fiber optic towards ethernet connection. Then from this ONT connect a ethernetcable on the WAN ethernet of the kpn modem. If there is an active signal on the fiber optic it should get connection.

The question is how to ask KPN to reuse this device for me. They are saying it is “impossible”, bacause that device belong to different user and that user is “responsible” for it. And that technichian should come and relpace that device with “mine”. And this process takes 10+ days without internet. Sounds like bureaucratic obstacle.

Hi @dimskraft, it is possible to use the equipment from the previous owner. The bigger question is if there is a signal. If there is no signal on the connection, it still won't work. The installation date usually isn't based on the equipment being there, it's based on the activation date of the signal. 

If the signal is there, you can install the old modem and reset it. If the signal isn't there, you'll have to wait.

Can’t KPN turn signal on by pressing a button on their computer?

It's not just a press of a button, it is a process that takes multiple steps to complete. We can't make that happen sooner, it can only be delayed. And I don't think both of us want that.

11 days to connect is very slow for XXI century, especially if the device is already installed. I don’t understand what you are trying to convince me in. All these “steps” you are speaking about should be optimized.

I'm not trying to convince you, I'm informing you it is more complicated than you think.

The fact the device is installed has no effect on this. The signal needs to be prepared outside of your home. If you want more information on that, you can give us a call at 0800-0402. I think it's easier to explain via the phone.

I was already speaking with someone by phone, the result was the same -- no reasonable explanation and no way to improve. The “preparation of signal” is instant unless a man with an axe is destroying fiber after each client.  

The result is the same because that is the reality, we can't speed that part up. It is a matter of waiting.

Put me in charge, I will make it faster :D

BTW I found a page at your site assuming that customer is connecting to existing box himself: https://www.kpn.com/service/internet/aansluitpunt

Funny. I was told this box should necessary be replaced. Left hand does not know what right hand does? 

It depends on which box. There is a FTU (the fiber unit on the link you have) and the Experia Box, which is the modem/router. The FTU stays there, stays attached. The Experia Box will be send new, but it can be used like we mentioned earlier. 

In both boxes case, the situation stays the same.

Reageer