Skip to main content

Hi,

My neighbourhood recently received the fiber internet connection a couple months back. I also applied to move to KPN fiber internet subscription and received the router box. A few months later (last weekend) I installed the box myself while running the KPN installation guide on the side. Everything went successfully and I got confirmation from KPN that fiber internet is now enabled. 

My problem is that I still get 170 MB internet after 48 hours (I previously had 200 MB subscription). I have connected my modem directly to the fiber internet box and connected my laptop with cable, still ~100 MB internet speed. I had a call with KPN customer support and they also see 1GB connection. What could be the reason and how can I best resolve this issue?

PS: My original setup goes via two Coax converters and satellite cable. However, to make sure that wasn’t the issue, I bypassed them in my test and connected the modem and laptop to the fiber internet cable directly.

Thank you very much in advance!

It may be that your laptop cannot handle the high speed, is there a 100mbit adapter attached instead of a gbit adapter?
Furthermore, the cable may not be suitable: Is it a CAT5E cable? Do you have another cable to try it with?
If KPN says you have 1gb speed, the problem is most likely indoors.

Thanks! That was a very easy solution. Indeed using a CAT6 resolved the issue with the cable. That makes sure that I have the fiber internet coming in. However, my wifi signal is still around 60 MB. Any idea what might be causing this and how to resolve it?

Wifi is always tricky. KPN has superwifi for when it's not fast enough. Often the speed of wifi depends on where the router is located (between cables/pipes like in the meter closet is usually not the optimal place) and if your ceilings are made of reinforced concrete. Any obstacles between your router and your laptop will affect that speed. Moreover, a microwave oven when microwaving also greatly affects the 2.4GHz signal in a negative way.
The 2.4GHz signal is more powerful and reaches farther, but is slower than 5GHz. Through 5GHz with bundled channels, it is theoretically possible to achieve 1.3GHz internally.

Hi Arjan, thank you very much for the fast response. It seems another modem reset was necessary, after that it works perfectly.

You’re welcome