Skip to main content

Hello,

A KPN technician come to my place a few days ago, he replaced the WiFi router, tried to fix the cables in the wall, told me to install 2 repeaters (Mesh), and charged 169 EUR.

I’ll give one last chance for KPN to fix this problem once for all, it’s been going since day one (~11 months already), otherwise, I’m done, I’ll cancel my subscription if this problem doesn’t get solved right away.

Here’s a test I keep running (`ping 1.1.1.1`):

As you can see, the connection dropped for a while, and then came back. It happens at the same time in all WiFi devices (Mac, iPhone), as well as Ubuntu PCs using cables.

I’m tired of this! It’s affecting my work, it drops me from Zoom meetings, etc.

It happens 2~3 times every week!

Internet light is blinking:

What’s going on!?

Hi @UltraX! I understand how the connection dropping would get on your nerves. Let alone if it happens when you work. 

I've looked at the information in your profile. I can see the connection dropping. But also that it drops from inside the modem or your network. The connection to the modem stays up at all times. 

This means there is a big likelyhood of this being the result of something in your network. Especially since an engineer has already looked at the connection and the current modem. 

Would you please verify that the modem also drops if you have no equipment in use or hooked up to it? Is there a moment where you have a chance to test this? If so, at that moment, please reset your modem once. Then leave it running without any equipment hooked up to it. If it still drops we know it has to be a problem with our modem. 

Hello Bram,

Well, one thing that I did for weeks to try to isolate this problem was to use it with just three devices, one laptop via cable, and two mobile phones via WiFi.

The problem persists. When it drops, both WiFi and wired goes down.

Also, when the `ping 1.1.1.1` stops answering back (the Internet), the modem still responds on its LAN side (`ping 192.168.2.254` - local), so, this means that the problem is AFTER the modem, not inside of my infrastructure, right?! I’ll try to take another picture showing this...

So, how could it be something in my network? Also, the Internet light blinks… Again, what in my home would cause this on the Internet side?!

This is frustating, I’m already looking to replace KPN with another ISP. I don’t want to do this because it’s just more work for me to figure this out but, well, you folks aren’t giving me any solution.

What about fiber connection, when it’ll be available here?! Maybe this will fix the problem, I’m still with old cables (ADSL), any ETA (like next week)?

In the meanwhile, I’m reducing again the number or devices in my infra, to see if the problem goes away (which I already did, so, I’m not expecting a different result).

Thanks

Also, initially, when KPN was installed, we had only WiFi devices.

The connection was dropping…

Then, I got pissed thinking it was a WiFi problem, and installed cables.

Didn’t solve the issue.

This is happening since KPN was installed, when there wasn’t much devices at home.

So, again, how could it be something in my infrastructure, when there was just a handful of standard devices using it?

@UltraX the reason I think it may be in your network is due to the readings I've gotten and the symptoms. We look at the most likely change and move down the line to more obscure possibilities. 

I do have some good news though. The engineer that was sent was a paid service engineer. From your post I first assumed it was a different type of engineer. For this one though there are warranty rules. This means I can plan a new engineer that will not charge the standard cost for the first hour and drive over. The only costs that could come from this new appointment would be new hardware. But since you already have those this is not something that will be needed either. Could you let me know if I can plan this engineer at the first oppertune time? Or if there are times I can't plan this for you?

Also, for fiber, please go to this KPNNetwerk website. I can see we have already had talks with the city on fiber. But that says about nothing on when it actually gets put into the ground. So if you fill out the form on the indicated website they will keep you up to date.

So please let me know about the engineer and I can send one over for you. 

@UltraX it has been a bit since your last reply. Can I assume you've found a solution for the problem?

If not, please let me know here and answer my questions from my last comment. 🙂