Skip to main content

(Since my Dutch is not enough even for small talk, here goes it in English :sweat_smile:

I recently moved to a smaller house, but something in the materials in it make the WiFi signal horrible in one of the bedrooms. My laptops won’t even stay connected to the network, let alone perform well.

I started looking into mesh WiFi as a way to alleviate this problem, and I stumbled upon solutions like KPN’s SuperWifi or TP-Link’s Deco M5.

Regarding this SuperWifi, I see most guides say one nit must stay connected with a cable to the router, and the other ones can be 100% wireless. However, these guides talk about the ExperiaBox V10, not the V10A. The V10A is supposedly compatible with mesh networking itself, and therefore should be able to act as the base station.

Is it possible? Because I really would like the simplicity of just buying a single SuperWifi point instead of having to buy the full kit.

There should be no difference in speed, theoretically, since the end result is the same (two WiFi devices talking to each other in the same exact physical locations).

rExperiaBox V10A (off) → cable →  SuperWifi (base)] → WiFi → SuperWifi (point)
pExperiaBox V10A (base)                                                 ] → WiFi → SuperWifi (point)

Hi Andre, welcome! Apologies for the late response, it's quite busy here at the moment. You are correct that the V10A is mesh capable in combination with the Superwifi. However, the V10A does not become base. The first Superwifi point you install becomes the master. As such, this one needs to be cabled. Additional Superwifi can, after being cabled for about ten minutes for setup, be placed throughout the house wirelessly. Length of cable is not an issue, however. So, you could, for example, cable the first Superwifi with a very long cable so you can still place it further away from the V10A.

In the end, the choice of what you use is up to you, and your skill level in these matters. Take into account that if you choose to use the Deco and you do experience wifi problems, regular KPN customer service cannot help you (unless the problem also occurs with just the V10A). You are, of course, welcome here for community support. Or you could add the Tech Desk to your contract (€5 p/m) to do get phone support from us.