Skip to main content

Hello to everyone.

Last week, I received my modem KPN BOX 14. The PS5 has a wired connection with a modem and is manually configured with a static IP address. After setup, I've noticed that the connection is frustratingly low. The connection test showed a speed for download as 800-900 Mbit/s and upload as a maximum of 30Mbit/s but, most times, less than 1 Mbut/s.

Then, I checked the connection speed through the modem's web interface. As a result, the average speeds were for Download 2,7 Gbit/s and upload 800 Mbit/s.

All recommended ports for PS5 games are forwarded, but the port test shows they aren't open.

I tried to make all the recommendations from the forum but was unsuccessful.

How can I improve the speed of my connection for PS5 and in general?

THanks in advance.

Hi @Daniyar , first of all, the PS5 is nog a good benchmarking tool for testing internet speeds.

I recommend you use a PC that is wired connected to your experiabox and then go to speedtest.net for a reliable speed test.

Hi @Daniyar , first of all, the PS5 is nog a good benchmarking tool for testing internet speeds.

I recommend you use a PC that is wired connected to your experiabox and then go to speedtest.net for a reliable speed test.

Thank you for your advice. I'll check it later and let you know.

I understand your point about the PS5 not being a good benchmarking tool for testing. However, the reason of my request is to address the issue with the gaming connection speed. For example, a test I conducted yesterday showed an upload speed of 700 Kbit/s. As you know, with a connection speed like that, playing online games would not be feasible.

Hi @Daniyar, like Arjan I'm also curious to see what the connection does on a different device. I also have a PS5, and the speedtest on there is not the greatest. But when I use a laptop on the same UTP cable, the speed is as it should be. If that's the case, the Sony servers have a part in this.

most of the time the download is fine and the upload is below 20Mbps this is by design sony caps the upload some of the time to a max of 20Mbps but they do that randomly 

Hi @Daniyar, like Arjan I'm also curious to see what the connection does on a different device. I also have a PS5, and the speedtest on there is not the greatest. But when I use a laptop on the same UTP cable, the speed is as it should be. If that's the case, the Sony servers have a part in this.

most of the time the download is fine and the upload is below 20Mbps this is by design sony caps the upload some of the time to a max of 20Mbps but they do that randomly 

I’m agree with both of you regarding to the low upload speed on PS5. When I was with Ziggo, the upload speed was around 25-30Mbps, and I rarely experienced lag during online games. However, since switching to KPN internet, I've noticed an increase in lag during gaming. That's why I posted in the forum. I'm wondering if I need to customize something with the routes, etc.

Lag has nothing to do with upload speeds

Do you experience the lag during a specific game, or is it during any game? If it is during a specific game,. it's also possible the game servers play a part. Usually lag is caused by latency, not the upload speed.

Then, I checked the connection speed through the modem's web interface. As a result, the average speeds were for Download 2,7 Gbit/s and upload 800 Mbit/s.

First, this needs to be fixed. You have a 4 Gigabit subscription, so let's make sure this is working properly.

How is your modem set up? Did you connect the modem with the blue LAN cable to the ONT?

Try this:

1. Unplug your ONT and modem.
  2. Boot up the ONT fully.
  3. Boot up your modem fully.
  4. Wait for 15 minutes and try a new speed test using the modem interface.

First, this needs to be fixed. You have a 4 Gigabit subscription, so let's make sure this is working properly.

How is your modem set up? Did you connect the modem with the blue LAN cable to the ONT?

Try this:

1. Unplug your ONT and modem.
  2. Boot up the ONT fully.
  3. Boot up your modem fully.
  4. Wait for 15 minutes and try a new speed test using the modem interface.

Thanks for your message. Yes, the modem is connected to the ONT as per the instructions. I’ve done it previously, and the connection speed is good. After this instruction, the Download speed is ~4098 Mbps, and the upload speed is ~3000-3400 Mbps.

Do you experience the lag during a specific game, or is it during any game? If it is during a specific game,. it's also possible the game servers play a part. Usually lag is caused by latency, not the upload speed.

I played only one game, and with Ziggo, it was fine. I've faced this issue since I moved to KPN. It's good to know that the latency has nothing to do with the upload speed. I was confused because of the low upload speed, which was below 1 Mbps. Not all the time, but often.

Any ideas on how to fix the game latency?

There are a lot of factors that can affect latency, like the connection itself, wired or wifi, the game servers, other services using the connection (like downloads on a different device).

You mentioned earlier the PS5 is connected with a cable, it that a direct cable, or are there things in between? Like a switch for example?

There are a lot of factors that can affect latency, like the connection itself, wired or wifi, the game servers, other services using the connection (like downloads on a different device).

You mentioned earlier the PS5 is connected with a cable, it that a direct cable, or are there things in between? Like a switch for example?

The console connected directly to the modem. The length of the cable is about 2m. 

The console connected directly to the modem. The length of the cable is about 2m. 

did you port forward the needed ports or is upnp enabled ?

I've forwarded the ports on the modem, assigned a static IP to the console, and disabled uPnP, but I'm not sure that it works correctly. Whenever I check the port status on https://portchecker.co/ using the console's web browser, it always indicates that the ports are closed. The same thing happens with uPnP enabled.

According to the game recommendations, the following ports need to be forwarded:

• TCP: 3478-3480
  • UDP: 3074, 3478-3479

I've forwarded the ports on the modem, assigned a static IP to the console, and disabled uPnP, but I'm not sure that it works correctly. Whenever I check the port status on https://portchecker.co/ using the console's web browser, it always indicates that the ports are closed. The same thing happens with uPnP enabled.

According to the game recommendations, the following ports need to be forwarded:

• TCP: 3478-3480
  • UDP: 3074, 3478-3479

its normal to give a port closed message

that testing is done from outside to inside but you forward so it goes smooth the other way around from inside to outside

what dns servers are you using ? with both kpn and ziggo the same or different ?

its normal to give a port closed message

that testing is done from outside to inside but you forward so it goes smooth the other way around from inside to outside

what dns servers are you using ? with both kpn and ziggo the same or different ?

I understand, but the port forwarded for my NAS is indicated as open. According to the DNS servers, the primary is 8.8.8.8, and the secondary is 8.8.0.0. On Ziggo, these servers provided a better connection than the default settings.

Yes your nas is running services so it should be open on specific ports for the outside 

Maybe  @Ik_Combineer has some advice

Reageer