Skip to main content

The mechanic set up the internet today. He said he can only set up the modem in the closet at the entrance of the house.

I asked if that is the only option and he said yes.

I asked if I could find a cable to take the modem to the living room, he said probably not but I could try.

Now I am with internet which keeps disconnecting. I tried to contact through email or phone, but I cannot find an email address or a phone number. Is there no way to contact customer service? If this is not fixed, I will have to cancel within the cooling-off period.

Hi @mkynl! Welcome to our forum.

I`m sorry to hear the installation wasn't satisfactory. First off, if you want to call customer service, call 0800-0402. Through there you can talk to a representative who can help you further. 

I do trust the engineer to judge if the modem can or can't be placed elsewhere. For copper connections at least, the modem needs to be connected to the ISRA with a cable that has a maximum length of 1,5 meters. With fiber the cable from the FTU to the modem can be longer. But the FTU itself can't be placed in another location. 

One thing you could do is see if you are eligable for SuperWifi. Wireless wifi extenders. If you use the Wifi Manager it should indicate if you need them for proper wifi. If you do, as a KPN customer, you get a discount. 

Could you let me know here if you have any more questions on the matter?

Hi @mkynl! Welcome to our forum.

I`m sorry to hear the installation wasn't satisfactory. First off, if you want to call customer service, call 0800-0402. Through there you can talk to a representative who can help you further. 

I do trust the engineer to judge if the modem can or can't be placed elsewhere. For copper connections at least, the modem needs to be connected to the ISRA with a cable that has a maximum length of 1,5 meters. With fiber the cable from the FTU to the modem can be longer. But the FTU itself can't be placed in another location. 

One thing you could do is see if you are eligable for SuperWifi. Wireless wifi extenders. If you use the Wifi Manager it should indicate if you need them for proper wifi. If you do, as a KPN customer, you get a discount. 

Could you let me know here if you have any more questions on the matter?

Thank you for your reply. Another mechanic came, without me getting in touch with KPN, because I tried the Wifi test and apparently, they realized the first mechanic did not do one of the two connections. The speed is better, but the signal strength is the same. 

Anyway, I suggested the new mechanic to put the modem to the other room to improve the wifi, because it was close enough. The modem is in a closet right beside the door to the small office area near the kitchen. He did not do it and he instead showed me how this 70eur wifi amplifier could help.

But why do I have to pay that money? I placed the modem to the kitchen. And the signal strength is still the same. The TV is literally 10 meters away from the router with no doors or anything else in between, and still the videos can only be 240p. I had Ziggo before and had no issues with wifi. Now already regretting changing my subscription. 

@mkynl the long and short of why we can't guarantee wifi signal is that is dependant on too many variables. There are a lot of things that may hinder wifi. So it is simply impossible to guarantee good signal strength in your entire house. 

We do have a number of options.

With every contract you have the option to choose a discount. We do offer the SuperWifi for free instead of a temporary discount for people who think the modem alone may not give enough coverage. If you choose not to use that offer we give a discount whenever you change your mind.

We also offer free use of the Wifi Manager. A program that indicates what may be wrong and how it can be fixed. 

Lastly we have our customer service and this forum. If things aren't working we will help you figure out what may be wrong and how it can be fixed. Those options aren't always free, however. 

If your wifi is really that bad 10 meters away from your modem chances are pretty high there is something disrupting that signal. A very well insulated wall, for instance.Â