Skip to main content

hi,

I am having a strange issue: while i am having a call on my KPN Fiber Optic wifi, at times, the call is jumpy, as in the audio and video skip. Phone is a Samsung S8. Signal version 5.24.17

My connection is 1 Gbps (i love it and it’s superfast) and on this occasion i was connected on wifi, standing next to the router, connection rated 866.7 mbps (full signal). other end on cable wired connection / fiber optic.

This was jumpy like every 1 minute, then i disconnected wifi and went on phone’s 4G connection (again KPN) and the call didn’t jump anymore - but it’s random, the other day i talked for over 1 hour on the phone on wifi and zero jumps. smooth call with HD video.

Now, I just tested on my signal desktop on my PC, same wireless connection and it was perfect, no jumpy whatsoever.

I really cannot make up my mind whether it’s my Phone too full of crap so CPU slows down, or Signal, or my wifi or the wireless signal from the router or signal disturbances from neighbour’s wifis overlapping with mine.

I do have the router next to the TV - perhaps too much interference?

anyone has ideas? shall i re-install Signal ? is it my android phone the issue? Shall i change wireless channel from the router instead? I’ve already set a custom channel for 2.4 and 5 ghz (no AUTO) and they are quiet channels and good coverage throughout.

One last test i can do is to use an ethernet usb-c adaptor to my phone and use the cable then do the call again, i haven’t tried that.

thanks,
Gabrio

any ideas? i tested it again and consistently, over wireless i get jumpy calls, shall i change the channel of the wireless on the KPN box?

currently im using channel 1 for 2.4 (20 mhz) and channel 100 for 5ghz (80 mhz)

Hi @gabrio81, I did found some info here;

https://www.technipages.com/how-to-fix-bad-video-call-quality-on-signal/amp 

Hope it helps. 
You can always try and change the wifi channel to test it, but not sure if Signall is a app that many use here…Maybe you can try and test Whatsapp to compare. 

I found the problem: it is the KPN box 12 with same AP names for 2.4 and 5 ghz.

I would like to make a feature request for the KPN box 12 to have 2 wireless AP with different names for 2.4 and 5 ghz.

My phone keeps jumping from one to the other while using Signal because they have the same name.

I have just tested with 2.4 disabled and works perfect.

How do i do that?

Thanks

Ah, I know some KPN customers have lot’s of experience with the box 12, like @wjb or @Nick83 Maybe they can help you get it up&running. 

Sure lets see what they got in their sleeve 🙂 thanks

Tho this is an option missing. Many entry level routers provided by isp have this basic functionality. Read on other thread other ppl requested the same thing.

See my reply in the other topic where you asked the same question.

See my reply in the other topic where you asked the same question.

@gabrio81 Did this work for you? 

Last  night i've disabled 2.4 ghz as i originally thought and THAT solved the problem, it’s smooth now and no jumps during audio or video call.

So the way i see it is that the phone jumps from 5ghz and 2.4ghz during a Signal call….BECAUSE they have the same names and because this house has thick walls that affect 5ghz signal performance (but not to the point that it drops). 🙂 if we had a different AP name then it would “lock” on its 5ghz and this wouldn’t be an issue. So yes, having that option back in the router would alleviate this issue.

the problem is back, i don’t really know what to try now, i will try again another wireless channel (100) on 5G band.

it’s really crazy that on a 1 gbps connection at 1 meter from the router the audio call breaks up and if you disable the wireless, with 4G+ even only 2 bars reception then it’s perfect (even with HD video)