Skip to main content

Good morning KPN, sorry for writing in English. I have a mobile subscription with you and and Internet contract from Xs4All that allows me and my partner to use the KPN-Kompleet package.

Unfortunately the connectivity to our house is made of very old copper cables and this doesn’t allow us to have more than an usual 20 Mb/s Internet speed.  This is barely enough for watching tv OR surfing the Internet but it’s not possibile to do both the things at the same time. Meanwhile, since a couple of weeks now, I’m stalked by some marketers guy at Ziggo who wants me to switch, and they can offer a fiber connection up 1 Gb/s, that’s like 50 times faster compared to what I have now, for a very similar price compared to my current Xs4All subscription, that I still like a lot due to the bonuses I have with my contract, but still…

I reached out to Xs4All and they told me that they have no power over that, and that all they can do is to check the following website to see if there are any planned improvements: https://xs4all-fpi-info.fourstack.nl/

Is there any change to have a decent Internect connectivity within a reasonable amount of time, or should I just give up my hopes and switch to another provider?

Admin: address removed from url

@Odiobill I’d like to advice you to remove the address from the link, the general advice is to put a screenshot and remove the address from that screenshot, I doubt you want random people on the internet to know you’re address (you can fill in you're address in you're profile, those with an * are only visible to KPN moderator's).

That said, looking at the four-stack information, it doesn't look like there's any plans to upgrade you're connection. I also checked if you're address qualifies for 4G in combination with a physical connection but unfortunately it doesn't (https://www.kpn.com/internet/internet-buitengebied.htm).

Having said all that, 20 Mb/s might be a bit on the low side (expected is 26 Mb/s) and should be enough for at least 1-2 HD TV stream's and a few Mb/s left for internet, so there might also be some problem with your connection that could potentially be solved. Though if you're just looking for raw bandwidth I’m afraid KPN is not you're best choice at you're place of residence.

Hello @Odiobill as @Zeonz says, 26Mbit/s is the maximum speed on your DSL cables. These speeds will be the same across all providers which use these cables such as XS4ALL and KPN. However 26/20Mbit/s should still be enough for watching TV ánd browsing the internet simultaneously.

That said, looking at the four-stack information, it doesn't look like there's any plans to upgrade you're connection. 

Thanks for your information. That’s really bad news for me since I chose xs4all mostly for the extra bonuses they offer, compared to all the other options: for a nerd like me, the static v4 address and v6 network is for sure something important, together with the Fritzbox instead a regular modem.

Having said all that, 20 Mb/s might be a bit on the low side (expected is 26 Mb/s) and should be enough for at least 1-2 HD TV stream's and a few Mb/s left for internet, so there might also be some problem with your connection that could potentially be solved. Though if you're just looking for raw bandwidth I’m afraid KPN is not you're best choice at you're place of residence.

Usually should be enough, or it should for a single person, but just downloading something while my wife is watching TV makes really difficult to do anything else. I also have logs entries about very frequent reconnections in the Frtizbox, but I’m not sure how this can be addressed by KPN without actually upgrading the lines. I guess I will jump back to Xs4All to see if, at least, anything can be done by their side on the Fritzbox (but I doubt it).

Hello @Odiobill as @Zeonz says, 26Mbit/s is the maximum speed on your DSL cables. These speeds will be the same across all providers which use these cables such as XS4ALL and KPN. However 26/20Mbit/s should still be enough for watching TV ánd browsing the internet simultaneously.

Yes, that explains why in my neighborhood almost everybody chose for Ziggo as the Internet/TV provider.

I can understand that for regular users 20 Mb/s should be enough, but that’s not my case. 

Do you think that there is actually nothing to do about it to force KPN to try filling the gap with Ziggo, or at least to provide a better option for VDSL connectivity? Is it true that my only options are to stay like this potentially forever, or to change the operator?

Yes, that explains why in my neighborhood almost everybody chose for Ziggo as the Internet/TV provider.

I can understand that for regular users 20 Mb/s should be enough, but that’s not my case. 

Do you think that there is actually nothing to do about it to force KPN to try filling the gap with Ziggo, or at least to provide a better option for VDSL connectivity? Is it true that my only options are to stay like this potentially forever, or to change the operator?

For now there's no planned upgrades yet but you could always sign up for the newsletter on the site of KPNNetwerkNL they're a separate company that manages the expansion and maintenance of our network. Signing up for the newsletter shows your interest in an optical fiber connection. This will be factored in in their decision making process