Skip to main content

I had an iPhone 12 with a physical sim. I am currently on vacation in the USA, and had to purchase a new phone as mine broke. I bought an iPhone 14. IPhones in the US do not have physical sim card slots. I’d like to activate eSim on my new phone, but there is not option visible in the KPN app. I will not be back in the Netherlands for five weeks, so I cannot visit a KPN store location, but obviously need to have my phone before then. What can I do?

Hi @sherilyn90, I'm sorry to hear your phone broke, and a bit surprised the iPhone 14 does not have a physical sim slot any more in the USA 🙁

This makes it impossible to get you connected to KPN at the moment, because you need to receive a code via text message on your physical sim, to active E-sim. Is there anyone nearby that has a phone without an active E-sim ánd a physical sim slot, that you can use to activate your E-sim in? 

If so:

• put your sim card in the other phone
  • download the MijnKPN app on that phone, this will work only if the physical sim card is installed in that phone
  • activate E-sim. Your Physical sim will be deactivated at that moment
  • after this, you can change your E-sim from one phone to the other, these are the instructions in Dutch:
  • Installatie op je nieuwe toestel:

1. Download of open de MijnKPN app op je nieuwe toestel en log in met je KPN ID
    2. Klik op 'Bekijk meer opties' bij het juiste nummer
    3. Ga naar 'Simkaart' en klik op ‘Simkaart vervangen’
    4. Kies voor e-sim en volg de stappen om e-sim direct te downloaden. Tijdens de installatie van de e-sim wordt om de verificatiecode gevraagd. Deze is per sms naar je oude toestel met nog werkende e-sim is gestuurd.
    Na voltooien van de installatie is de e-sim op het nieuwe toestel actief en op het oude toestel automatisch gedeactiveerd