Skip to main content

Hi all!

I’ve recently moved to Zeeburgereiland and noticed that both me and my wife have terrible mobile reception in the area. 

From my testing in this time, it seems there area huge “dead spots” in the coverage, where my mobile internet completely stops working (not even sending/receiving whatsapp messages), while in a few areas the internet does seem to work okay, but issue is that I would roughly estimate that more than half the neighborhood consists of “dead spots” to us, which is extremely annoying when you need to walk the dog or rent a shared car.

We both have iPhones 13 and we can see the 5G signal indicated on the top right corner at all times, even when the internet is not working (with only 1 bar in those cases)

I wanted to ask if anyone else in the area experience this or if there are any known issues or improvements planned for this area?

We really like the KPN service, but unfortunately if this persists, we will need to switch 

Hoi @LucasBaile . Welcome to the forum.

Can you follow the link below and fill out your postcal code etc.  to see what the quality of mobile reception should be according to our measurments and the setup of our transmission towers?

https://www.kpn.com/netwerk/dekkingskaart.htm

Hoi @LucasBaile . Welcome to the forum.

Can you follow the link below and fill out your postcal code etc.  to see what the quality of mobile reception should be according to our measurments and the setup of our transmission towers?

https://www.kpn.com/netwerk/dekkingskaart.htm

Hi @Erwin_ ,

Sure thing, here are the results from my area form both 5G and 4G coverage:

5G:

4G:

​​

Funny enough, we can see a "dead spot" on the 5G coverage, but the area I'm having issues is actually a little bit west to that. The  area that I'm having issues seems pretty similar to the one with the strong green color on the 4G coverage picture (which is the weaker signal, according to the legend)

In my experience, I can switch from "only 5G" to "only 4G" and in theory I see the 5G/4G icons on my iPhone just fine, but with only one bar of signal and the internet doesn't work at all in those spots. 

5G is not that relevant. It's more about 4G.  But you say you barely have reception. Also outside of your home? Or only inside?

Inside my home the internet also barely works, but that doesn’t botter me as much, because I have a pretty good Wi-Fi coverage on all rooms and use “Wi-Fi Calling” which seems to do the trick for receiving/making calls

Outdoors in the walking area in the center of Zeeburgereiland square is where it’s worse for me particularly, because as I said the signal seems to fluctuate between 1 bar (where my internet doesn’t work at all)  and 2 bars (where sometimes the internet works slowly, but still doesn't feel like it always works)

The situation is exactly the same with my wife’s phone, and I also want to mention that I really don’t believe it’s a configuration problem on our phones, as we both use this same phone (with eSIMs, so it can’t be bad contact on the SIM) for long before moving here with great signal strength, including when we go to Amsterdam center, where the internet starts working flawlessly again. To be a bit more specific, anecdotally it feels like when we leave the area with darker green color the internet starts working again, so I understand is a pretty small area overall, but I can’t imagine I’m the only one having these issues here in this neighborhood

I've alerted our mobile technical department and made a ticket.   Within 5 workdays you wil be contacted on one of both numbers.

They will try and resolve the issue with you. 

I've alerted our mobile technical department and made a ticket.   Within 5 workdays you wil be contacted on one of both numbers.

They will try and resolve the issue with you. 

That’s great, I apreciate the help!

Will be waiting on their contact and update here later if necessary 👍

Just to give a closing update on this:

I’ve received a call regarding the ticket opened by @Erwin_ a few days after he mentioned it here.

The agent on the phone explained to me that there indeed some issues with the signal coverage in my area and that although they plan to improve this situation, there are nothing concrete and short-term planned

So as a compensation he offered me to unlock our phone numbers so we can request to switch to another mobile provider (Since we still had around 6 months left in our 2-year contract), which I already successfully did.

I’m very satisfied with the solution, as at least now I can switch to another carrier that works better here, but I’ll definitely check in the future in case the situation improves!

Big thanks again @Erwin_ !

Reageer