Skip to main content

Hallo! I am planning to visit South America for a couple of weeks. Some days, i will be working from there, and for validation steps, I get SMSs to my dutch phone. Is there any KPN product which allows me to keep receiving those messages while i am out of the EU?

Hi @julian rojas 

It's nice that you're going to South Africa for a few weeks, it must be very beautiful there.

In South Africa you can continue to use your KPN mobile subscription, nothing will change.
This is called roaming, and it means that you can continue to use your KPN subscription on the mobile network of a foreign provider.

Because South Africa is not within the European Union, out-of-bundle rates apply:

You are in South Africa and are calling or texting someone in the Netherlands or a country in the 'Advantage country outside the EU' tariff region.

Internet: €2.50 / MB
Calling: €1.00 / min
Receiving calls: €0.50 / min
Send SMS: €0.30 / SMS
Receive SMS: free

But you can make it a lot cheaper to use by switching on one of these special abroad bundles for South Africa:

Bundle 1:

100 MB/min/SMS
For the price of 9.99 euros
Text “VOORDEEL 100 AAN” to 1266

Bundle 2:

500 MB/min/SMS
For the price of 39.99 euros
Text “VOORDEEL 500 AAN” to 1266

Hi @julian rojas! Do you have an active subscription with KPN at the moment? You should be able to receive a text message if there is adequate coverage, but we can't guarantee this abroad. I would advise you to arrange an alternative means of authentication if possible, for example an authentication app  on your phone.