Skip to main content

A few months back I lost my phone that had my KPN Sim card in it. Blocked the SIM and moved to Malaysia around 1 month ago for internship and ordered a new SIM Card here.

Finally after long wait (around 20 days) the SIM Card arrived here in Malaysia and the activation code is there but in the mobile phone part of the “card” that includes the SIM is needed for the activation is totally empty. I assume that that is the main problem here.

I tried to activate my SIM card in kpn.com/activeren, but it gives me this message : “Wegens een technisch probleem kunnen we momenteel uw gegevens niet verwerken. Probeer het later nog eens”. 

I still have my subscription active until 01/10/2022 which is tomorrow and I just needed my old number to get my old WhatsApp back and I paid for one extra month because of that. 

It is a shame that I can not activate my SIM-Card, I am disappointed that I have to face these problems and that I can not activate my SIM-Card. 

Visiting a physical store is impossible since I am very far away. I tried calling the customer support hotline and I got a bad customer experience from that call unfortunately 😕. It was a male first that could not help me with my problem then he connected me to a younger lady who has the “tools” to activate my SIM. She was acting unprofessional during the call. I asked for help and she used terms like, “I don’t know”, to my questions instead of “let me ask my colleague for more information”. Just made me feel like I was talking to an irritated person who really did not care to help me out and find out what was my problem.

It is a shame that I can not activate my SIM Card after a long wait and it looks like I am not getting my old WhatsApp back.

Hi @D0zuu, welcome! How unfortunate to hear that you cannot activate the new simcard! I see that your subscription ends tomorrow? Then I'm not sure if there's anything I can do, but I will try. Could you please update your forum profile with your telephone number, new simcard, adress and customer number?

@Marcia_ Hello, thank you for the quick reply.

I updated my phone number and set the sim card number in the private comment section. I also updated the customer number section. Please let me know if you could help me out… I would greatly appreciate it. I have time until tomorrow to activate my old whatsapp since my subscription is ending.. Thanks a lot

Thank you! I've checked and there's no possibility for me to activate the simcard. I get an error message. The simcard cannot be activated, because it's not linked to your subscription. Also: the simcard only works if it has been connected to a network in the Netherlands. The simcard had to be activated first before it was shipped to you. I am very sorry to tell you this. The only solution for now, I think, is that you don't cancel your subscription, but convert it to prepaid. We can order a new simcard for you and with prepaid it is possible to activate the simcard abroad. Could you call us again today (+31612001200) to get that fixed?

One more question: are you sure you saved your contacts on the simcard or that you backed up your WhatsApp account? It would be a waste of time if we put in a lot of effort for something that isn't going to work 😞.

Oh, I am sad to hear that :(

If I call again today, is it going to be free of cost? Since I have a Malaysian SIM here in Malaysia, can I call all the way from here to you guys without costs? Yesterday when I called, after 45 minutes of getting no help and being put on hold, the younger lady just hung up on me. I would not want to call again if there are high costs. @Marcia_ 

Another solution might be that I order a new prepaid sim card to my trustworthy friend who lives in The Netherlands, and he would activate the prepaid for me and when the whatsapp is asking for the verification by SMS, he would simply tell me the code and I would have access to whatsapp again. Is this allowed in KPN terms & conditions? @Marcia_ 

Oh, I am sad to hear that :(

If I call again today, is it going to be free of cost? Since I have a Malaysian SIM here in Malaysia, can I call all the way from here to you guys without costs? Yesterday when I called, after 45 minutes of getting no help and being put on hold, the younger lady just hung up on me. I would not want to call again if there are high costs. @Marcia_ 

No it's not free of cost unfortunately 😞.

Another solution might be that I order a new prepaid sim card to my trustworthy friend who lives in The Netherlands, and he would activate the prepaid for me and when the whatsapp is asking for the verification by SMS, he would simply tell me the code and I would have access to whatsapp again. Is this allowed in KPN terms & conditions? @Marcia_ 

This should be no problem. But I am not sure if that works? You will have a different phone number and I am not sure if you can use your WhatsApp back up that way?

That is very unfortunate to hear that it is not free of cost. Last night when I called the person on the phone said it is totally free of cost when calling the international number.

The call lasted for 45 minutes so now I am expecting a huge phone bill…

I think the best solution now is to just let my whatsapp account be gone. I can not afford calling another long call. It was most likely more than 100€ just for that call..

This got me extremely sad now… 

On top of my problems I am awaiting a huge phone bill… Thank you for helping me @Marcia_ I wish your colleagues on the phone would clarify information as clearly as you do… 

I have to say when I return to The Netherlands, I am definitely switching to Vodafone.

That is probably the cheapest solution, I am very sorry I couldn't be of more help!