Skip to main content

Hi folks,

I will be moving to the Netherlands next month. To make my transition period a bit easier, I want to take care of some administrative duties in advance. As such, I wanted to see if I can already sign up for a Dutch eSIM prior to my arrival.

I have seen that it is possible to place an order for a new phone contract using a foreign passport for identification, so that shouldn’t be an obstacle. However, the contract also requires a Dutch residence address. I already know my future address, but won’t be able to receive any post prior to my arrival for obvious reasons.

Hence my questions: is it generally possible to apply for a KPN mobile contract from abroad? If so, does KPN send anything important via physical mail, or does it suffice to have email access to activate the eSIM?

Note: This question is similar to this one, the difference being that I am not ordering a physical object (SIM card or phone).

I can give you a whole explanation but the answer is no. The BRP (basis personen registratie) is necessary and also a Dutch adres.