Skip to main content

I’m having lots of trouble using mobile data with KPN subscription in England.  I have tried selecting different networks, restarting my device, setting the roaming to off then back on.  Sometimes it works (always very slowly) but mostly it doesn’t work at all - either showing no signal, or showing 3G or 4G and still not working.  I have this issue on 2 KPN sim cards (one for work and one personal), on iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 8. 

I used to have a Vodafone NL sim card for work and it worked absolutely perfectly, such a shame that KPN doesn’t provide the same level of service.  When I contacted KPN about this via Twitter, they said that Vodafone “has different partners so perhaps those have a better network there”.  Unfortunately this means I will have to switch back to Vodafone.

It would be good to know if this is a wider issue experienced by others too.  Thanks @SK DenBosch for posting about this.

Admin: eigen topic voor je vraag aangemaakt (origineel)

Hi @elclc, too bad to hear you have a lot of problems with the network in England with our simcards. You selected different providers, but every single one of them showed the same problems. Do you experience this in one location or everywhere? 

Have you tried different settings? Example that you use 3G only. 

Hi @Bart_Z I have tried KPN and Vodafone, I only experience these problems with KPN.  Vodafone works perfectly!

I have tried my KPN sims in many different locations, always the same issue.  And yes I have tried with 3G, 4G and 5G and always experience the same problems.

Thank you. Will you please fill in your profile and let me know when you did? I will notify the technical department to look into it. 

Hi @Bart_Z I have filled in my profile.  Thank you for investigating this further.

I can see you have used some internet, today, yesterday. So you can use mobile data. It's active. That's why I can't act. Because it is working. Also if it doens't work properly as you expect is works and due to that we can't do anyhing about it. 

If a website loading for one minute then timing out with only partial data means ‘working’ then yes I guess it is working. But it's still not usable so I have to go with another provider.

I understand, but there is a connection. So the internet works. We have no influence at the provider abroad. Maybe they can explain why the mobile internet is very slow. 

It doesn’t seem to be the local provider itself, eg. O2 or 3, since that works fine if I use a UK sim on that network directly, or indeed a Vodafone NL sim on that network. 

What I understood from the Twitter conversation with KPN customer service is that there are different partners and agreements set up between KPN/Vodafone and networks abroad, and the one that KPN has is not as good as the one that Vodafone has.  Not sure if that is true or not, but seems to be something KPN-specific that doesn’t work in the UK.

We have different partners in the UK. You can try: EE Limited, Hutchinson, Manx, Telefonica or Vodafone. You can connect to these providers. They also should provide you mobile internet.