Skip to main content

A couple of weeks ago I put things in place for a transfer of my two existing Vodafone contracts to KPN. I agreed a termination date with Vodafone that was more than a month away and organised two KPN contracts to start on that date and pick up my existing numbers.

Both SIMs arrived promptly, but KPN only triggered a number transfer for one of the contracts. I spotted this and called KPN who said that a number transfer was no longer possible because there were less than 30 days before my Vodafone service expired. I had little option but to take a new number from KPN but was careful to point out that this new contract should start on the same date as my other, correctly set up, contract.

Well, today I find that KPN have started the contract immediately, meaning that despite all my best efforts I now have two contracts with different start dates (this detail was important to me for administrative reasons), I’m being billed for a month or so’s service that I don’t need and won’t use and to rub salt in the wound I haven’t managed a number transfer.

KPN Customer Services say that there is nothing they can do other than terminate the contract that has kicked in and create another one. If I ask for number transfer then I will be without service for a week or so because of the 30 day rule (even though I have already terminated my Vodafone contract). If I accept a new number then I have to wait until the day my Vodafone contract expires and go through the rigmarole of SIM delivery for the fourth time. KPN say that they are not able to waive fees or make a credit for the month or so of unrequired service.

A nice way of making money - screw up a simple procedure and then penalise the customer (either logistically or financially) for the supplier’s mistake.

Has anyone any advice to offer (other thantrash it all and start again)?

Hi @preeve9534 

It is a bit "running behind the facts", but why did you terminate your contracts with Vodafone?

When changing provider with numbertransfer, you normally open a contract with the new provider and indicate that you want to port your number. Then the new provider (KPN) contacts the old provider (Vodafone) and together they agree a transfer date, taking your notice period in account. After receiving a verification sms which you need to confirm by texting JA to 6688, KPN will then terminate the VF contract in your name. On the tranfsfer date it is a matter of changing SIM cards from VF to KPN and you are done.

(I'm a customer like you, so I can only try to help you by sharing my experiences)

Hi Ruud. Well, I went into the Vodafone store to discuss contract renewal and they didn’t have a product that suited me so I decided not to renew and to go elesewhere. Seemed simple just to terminate both Vodafone contracts at the first opportunity that was possible across both contracts. Then I thought -I would be all neat and tidy and could start two new contracts with another provider on the same date. What a vain hope that was.

P

As said before, I can only help based on my experiences. This problem goes beyond these.

I think you can only sort this out with KPN Customer Services or perhaps visiting a KPN store will help. → Find a KPN store

Reageer