Skip to main content

Hello, 

Since Sunday night, I have no Internet. Basic troubleshooting displayed that there is no link on the bottom Ethernet port of the PON box that goes to the WAN port of the KPN Box 12. 

The LEDs state:

• Optical box:
    • Power: solid green
    • Connection: solid green
  • modem: 
    • Internet: blinking green 
    • WiFi: slowly blinking green
    • Power: solid green

In the modem Web UI → My modem → General

Network
Local IPv4 Address 192.168.2.254
Local Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Local Ethernet Mac address 6C:99:61:E9:ED:97
Public IPv4 Address -
Public Subnet Mask -
IPv4 Online Duration 00h00m00s
Default Gateway -
Primary DNS Server -
Secondary DNS Server -
Delegated Prefix -
Link Local Gateway IPv6 Address -
Global Gateway IPv6 Address -
Default Gateway IPv6 Address -
IP Version IPv4/IPv6

Ethernet WAN
Status Disconnected
Connection Time 00h00m00s
Bitrate 0

In the modem Web UI → My modem → Statistics:

WAN Layer 1 - Ethernet
Status Dormant
Connection Time 00h00m00s
  Received Sent
Packets 0 0
Bytes 0,00 0,00
Errors 0 0
Drops 0 0

Pictures to illustrate:

WAN port LEDs are off
Both power and Connection LEDs on the PON box are solid green
No light on the Ethernet port of the PON box
Front LEDs of the modem; Interned LED is blinking

Steps I have already done: 

1. Reset the modem - soft reset (power off and on)
  2. Reset the modem - hard reset - twice (restored factory settings from the UI; additionally pushed the tiny button until the lights went off, as asked by the technician on call).
  3. Soft-reset the PON box (power off and on)
  4. Re-seat the PON box physically
  5. Plugged one of my computers to the WAN port of the modem: LEDs on the WAN ports went on. The WAN port of the router is not dead.
  6. Plugged RJ45 of the PON box to the other LAN port of the router: no link
  7. Plugged RJ45 of the PON box to a computer directly: no link

Steps 5-7 done both with the cable provided during the installation months ago and with a brand new tested Cat 6e patch-cord. 

From what I see, this looks like the PON box malfunction

I tried calling the Support where we performed all the above once again with no progress. The man I talked to offered me mobile traffic which is helpful to stay connected but definitely is not fair replacement of 1 Gbit connection I used to use. 

Please let me know what would be the next steps to resolve the issue and restore the connectivity between the PON box and the modem. Thanks. 

This is a typical problem of the XGS-PON ONT that was disconnected from the power. A bug in the firmware sometimes causes the Ethernet port to fail in such cases. There has been a firmware update lately that solves this issue but it seems your XGS-PON ONT did not receive that firmware yet.

Your XGS-PON ONT needs to be replaced.

Please call customer service at 0800-0402 and ask for a replacement of your ONT.

Hi @skv25, welcome. 

Everything looks fine, but no internet. Even after all your possible solutions you have tried. 

What wjb told you is exactly what I thought. So the fastest way for contact is calling 0800-0402. 

If you prefer this way, please fill in your profile and let me know when you did. I will look into it. 

Hello @Bart_Z

Thank you the prompt reply. My profile is now populated, please check if you have everything required from my side. Thank you. 

Hi @wjb,

I appreciate your answer.  I assume I cannot update the firmware at home, and moreover the PON device is probably bricked. Hopefully, @Bart_Z will arrange RMA.  

I got everything I need. I have notified my expert colleagues. They will call you to handle it further. 

Thank you @Bart_Z, I’ve received an SMS that KPN is aware of the issue. I’ll wait for a call to have our next steps explained. 

A mechanic needs to scheduled by my colleague to replace the ONT. Please let me know when that happened. 

Good morning @Bart_Z,

Thanks you for your message. I haven’t been contacted by phone yet. For me, any day and time will be good for the technician visit. I work from home and am always available. Thanks. 

To update and close the thread. 

The KPN representative called me and offered a very convenient time slot for the technician visit.  

The technician have done the job quickly, and I’m back online. 

Thank you @Bart_Z, I appreciate your and your colleagues’ effort in solving this problem.

Nice to hear! You are very welcome!

Don’t want to hijack this topic, but I have exactly the same issue.

—————

Kan iemand van KPN helpen?

Bedankt!

Don’t want to hijack this topic, but I have exactly the same issue.

—————

Kan iemand van KPN helpen?

Bedankt!

Niet meer nodig gelukkig.

Er kon vandaag gelijk een monteur ingepland worden en die heeft direct de XGS-PON vervangen en dat was bij mij ook de oplossing.