Skip to main content

Hello.
I recently got a 200/200 Fiber internet package.

After test my connection few times a day in the last week, I'm getting an average of 195mb of download and 30mb upload.

All my setup is using Cat6 ethernet cables and 5GHZ wifi.

Any specific reason to get so low upload rates? I changed to KPN exactly to improve my upload speed due to fiber connection but I'm getting lower numbers than my previous internet provider.

Hello @Idmar, welcome to our forums! Are you also getting these upload speeds on a wired connection?
These speeds arent guaranteed on Wifi although our online wifimanager can really help increasing your Wifi speeds.

Hi @Thomas 

Yes, I'm also reaching the same speeds under cable connection.

I tried to access the online wifi manager you mention but it says I have no product linked to my account. After that I tried to link my home connection via https://profiel.kpn.com/productkoppelen?th=mk but it didn't work.

No matter what option I choose in step 2 (Bent u verbonden met uw kpn internet aansluiting?), it never identify my connection after add the requested info.

Heres a screenshot:

After few tries, I got blocked for 15min:

Strangely, I manage to link my mobile phone numbers using the same method so, I assume there's something wrong wit my home internet info in your systems.

The Wifimanager only works when you're connected to your own modem.
Linking your MijnKPN account also works best there. Are you sure you're not connected to a different network of 4G/LTE?

Could you also try this with a different browser and from a different device?

Hi Thomas.
I manage to attach the home internet to my KPN account. Strangely I did it using the same browser and connected to the same Wifi network (provided by the KPN router).

Regarding the connection speed, I did few more tests and here the results:

Using Wifi
Provided by KPN router and being 2m away from it with no walls or doors between my notebook and the router

Using Ethernet connector
Cat6 cable and Enthernet→USB-C certified adaptor. Connected directy to port 3 of KPN router

Since results are similar via ethernet and wifi, and my wifi test was made  just from a few meters from KPN router, I dont believe the online wifi manager will improve it in any way. 

At this point I'm assuming the upload speed issue is being caused for something outside my network.

If the upload is also slower using the ethernet connection there might be something else on our end.
I'd like to take a look at your connection. Could you update your profile and let me know?

@Thomas 

Done. My profile is updated.

Thanks! I've taken a look at your modem and the connection seems good from this end. Your modem is receiving 200/200!
Are you still experiencing this issue?

Unfortunately yes. 
here’s a test from 2min ago via Wi-Fi:

https://kpn-itns.speedtestcustom.com/result/512ca7f0-4904-11eb-b1e9-9d212bd79a4c

I̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶.̶ ̶T̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶c̶k̶e̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶f̶r̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶p̶i̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶a̶r̶l̶i̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶m̶o̶r̶r̶o̶w̶ ̶(̶2̶9̶-̶1̶2̶-̶2̶0̶)̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶w̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶1̶2̶:̶0̶0̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶1̶4̶:̶0̶0̶.̶ ̶W̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶?̶ ̶I̶f̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶c̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶c̶h̶e̶d̶u̶l̶e̶!̶

edit: I made a mistake

I'm sorry @Idmar I looked all wrong. The internet speeds for your subscription are supposed to be 200-20. You can find this in your contract.
Because it is a fiber connection you can upgrade these speeds ofcourse but the base speed is 200-20. I have cancelled the engineer as he would not be able to fix this either.

edit: I'm looking into this with my colleagues behind the screens as this speed should be possible and might be an administrative error. I will get back to you about this.

@Thomas 

Thanks for the updates.

Once you have news about it, please let me know. 

Good morning @Idmar, I just received a reply from my colleagues and it was indeed something administrative. They fixed it and you should receive the proper speed in a couple of days!

Thanks for the update @Thomas 

I will check my connections speed daily and let you know when the problem is solved.

Cheers! 

Hi @Thomas 

A update about my connection speeds.

I"m tracking down/up speeds during the last week and it still the same as before.
Heres a link from my last test: https://kpn-itns.speedtestcustom.com/result/8cbd0a70-4ed2-11eb-8f70-4d4e5d2cd6c3

I will track it for one more week and get back to you.
Cheers!

P.s.: Happy new year!

Thanks for the update Idmar, I'm asking my colleagues for an update as well! 
Also happy new year! 

Hi @Idmar, I havent had a reply yet so I'm about to ask them for an update again. Could you double check if the issue hasn’t been resolved in the meantime?

Hi @Thomas 

Problem is still there.
Here's the test I made from 5Ghz wifi:

https://kpn-itns.speedtestcustom.com/result/db91b500-5423-11eb-981c-5331838d2bca

alright, I've mailed my colleagues. I'll let you know as soon as I get an answer!

I've gotten a reply from my colleagues, apparently it is a bit more complicated in this situation than we had anticipated. They're working on a solution. They'll expect this to be fixed within one or two weeks. 
I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

Hi @Thomas , thanks for the update. :slight_smile:
No problem. It is what it is.

I'm checking my connectivity speed once per day. If I notice some change in this mean time, I let you know. Otherwise I'm waiting  for news from your side in the next two weeks.

Cheers!

Quick update after one week from last message: The problem is still there.
Based in my daily tests, average speed is still 200mb/36mb (down/up)

Still waiting one more week since you mentioned one or two weeks to solve the issue.

Thanks for the update Idmar!

Hi @Idmar, it's been a few weeks now. Has the issue been resolved?

@Thomas unfortunatelly no. 
My upload speed is still on 36mbps as you can see from the screenshot below: 

@Idmar I mailed my colleagues yesterday, they tell me they attempted it again and it seems everything is in order now since 09:30 this morning. Could you retry again? If it's still slow, could you reboot your modem and try again? Or try measuring from a wired device?Â