Skip to main content

Since yesterday my internet started disconnecting few times per day with:

22.09.2023 15:15:42 Info PPPOE

PPPoE connection successfully established with user credentials.

22.09.2023 15:14:38 Error PPPOE

Connection has been terminated: remote station is not answering to LCP Echo requests.

22.09.2023 15:14:34 Warning PPPOE

Connection to the Internet has been terminated.(Reboot,Reconfiguration,forced termination)

22.09.2023 15:14:34 Error PPPOE

Connection has been terminated: remote station is not answering to LCP Echo requests.

Message in the logs of the device. Restarting modem didn’t help any. No configuration or hardware changes were made before. My modem is KPN Box 12. Please do something about that, thank you!

Hi @Artscout, I have checked your line. I see the discconnects till yesterday. Can you confirm the line is stable again?

Hi  @Bart_Z no disconnects today yet so hopefully everything’s ok, thank you!

Now it started again. Random intervals but every day it dosconnects, sometimes few times per hour.

Hi @Artscout! I've checked out the connection and can see the connection drops. So that's at least something. Could you let me know if there's a device that activates between midnight and 1:30 AM? This is the time where drops are most common. 

Furthermore, I can see if disconnects originate from our network or in the modem. And all disconnects start in the modem itself. This usually means there is a device in the network that causes it. Obvious suspsects are switches or other routers. Do you have anything like that in the network? If so, what brand and type?

The easiest way to figure this out is to disconnect every single device from the modem. Both connected by LAN and wifi. If you have, reset the modem. Then let it sit for as long as you can do without those devices. Or connect them one by one and let them run for a bit. To see if the connection drops. 

If you've tried these steps or have found a probable cause, please update us here. If the modem keeps dropping even with all other devices disconnected, please let me know here and add the logs again. That way I can see if a new modem is needed. Either way, the connection to your house is fine. 

Hi @Bram_ . No, the only device that connected to the KPN box by wire is my PC. Other devices connected wirelessly. No device activates between midnight and 1:30AM as they either always connected or not connected at all in standby mode. Also after software on KPN box was updated I don’t see logs anymore.

Hi @Artscout. I read above that you have already reset the KPN ExperiaBox and that this did not solve the problem. Do you want to remove the power plug of the fiber optic connection point from the socket for at least 2 minutes? Perhaps this will solve the problem.

I’ve tried that to no avail. Also as far as I see disconnects happening when some heavy traffic goes to my PC like about ten minutes ago it happened when I started Microsoft flight simulator update with heavy traffic load (about 5 gigabytes). And as far as I can remember every time it happened it was some update or download going on. Though not every download results in disconnect, it just happens when something is downloading.

I see the disconnects. about 3-5 a day. I have tried to reset your modem again. So I can analyse futher, but it looks like it's offline. Is it? 

Can you please disconnect your fiber and the modem. Then plugin the fiber and then reset the modem. Does that help?

I’ve restarted everything per your instructions, will see if that helped

Actually I have a question. Can I use my own router instead as I don’t use wifi extender and no tv? I have asus ax86U doing nothing… 

I switched to  my own router to test how it will behave. Works for now, will see.

Oct 24 03:33:16 pppd[3236]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Oct 24 03:33:20 WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
Oct 24 03:33:22 pppd[3236]: Connection terminated.
Oct 24 03:33:22 pppd[3236]: Modem hangup
Oct 24 03:33:32 pppd[3236]: Connected to 60:7e:cd:29:c9:4b via interface vlan6
Oct 24 03:33:32 pppd[3236]: Connect: ppp0 <--> vlan6
Oct 24 03:33:32 pppd[3236]: PAP authentication succeeded

The issue appears to be on your side. Something keeps disconnecting, either Fiber Optics box or some device futher away. 

Had to call support this morning. No matter what device is on my side it keeps disconnecting every few minutes now. Switched back to KPN box 12 - the same picture. Tried to turn off everything for a few minutes as it helped last year but nothing seems to help now. 

and small update - switched to asus rt-ax86u and changed short cable between optic box and router, now it’s not restarting every minute. crossing fingers

So the cable could be the problem. Hopefully the new one will solve the problem. If not let me know. 

Could be yes. because since then eveyrthing just works. but I don’t want to touch anything now )

Reageer