Skip to main content

Good evening everyone. My 1 Gbit/s subscription starts soon and I would like to make one point clear regarding connection procedure. I received a fiber optic box from KPN as a part of the equipment package, but there is already a fiber optic box installed in the apartment that I rent (please see the attached photo). Do I need to replace the already installed fiber optic box with the one sent by KPN? Thank you in advance.

Hello @Mariia Volkova 

The one currently in place is also used by KPN, so it should work.

See this page: https://www.kpn.com/service/internet/aansluitpunt.htm , open Glasvezel aansluiting and you see the same one listed.

Which fiber optic box did you receive, the same one?

@GeSp, thank you for your reply. This is the one I received from KPN – Genexis Element-TY01-P2110. Will the current one provide me with 1 Gbit/s connection?

Yes the current one supports 1GBit/s too.

But maybe it's better to replace it anyway to be sure.

@Belt buckle, thanks for the tip. Do you happen to know what is the gray cable connected to the current box for? It seems that the other end of this gray cable is connected to the general building communications. In the instructions from KPN, I read that through this port the box should be connected to the modem via a provided red cable.

By the way, I don’t use the fiber optic box for my current internet connection.

@Mariia Volkova 

That's correct, you should disconnect the grey cable and connect the KPN modem with the red cable (may also be another color as long it's a CAT5e or better cable).