Skip to main content

Hello,i want to use hotspot on my ps5 but there seems to be a problem with kpn and it won’t let me play any online games . I also tried to hotspot my tv and open Netflix and that also isn’t working 😞 I did a small research on the internet and found out that some people change the apn settings from internet to portalmmm.nl and get it work,but when I do that I don’t get connection . Does anyone else has issues with hotspots ? 
I would appreciate any help :(

Hi @Stavrinho7, welcome!  You should be able to use internet in general through a hotspot on your phone. If, of course, mobile reception in the area is adequate. However, things like a Playstation often find the settings of a mobile hotspot inadequate. 

Changing the APN can help. But there's no noticeable difference between internet and portalmmm. Instead, try advancedinternet. Use these settings:

APN = advancedinternet
MCC = 204
MNC = 08
Verificatietype = niet ingesteld
APN type = default
APN-protocol = IPv4
Roamingprotocol voor APN = IPv4
Drager = niet opgegeven
MVNO-type = Geen

Hello Erik and thank you for your time and your help. I really appreciate that. I doubt that Netflix or PlayStation find my network inadequate because i get full bars and really strong connection. I also have the super unlimited plan . Also tried before other carriers with less strong internet and they were working fine on hotspot. I just visited a kpn store and an employee informed me that there is a Dutch law that prohibits hotspot on such things like Netflix for Dutch numbers that start from 06. Is there such a thing? 

@Stavrinho7 

Are you using an iPhone or Android phone?

I know that with iPhone hotspot and apn internet it can cause problems because of IPv6 addresses. When you change the hotspot settings of your iPhone from apn internet to portalmmm.nl it should work. I have seen this with other users.

Can you share a screenshot of the hotspot settings of your phone?

It’s not working like that . I’m using iPhone 

@Stavrinho7 

I do not use iPhone myself. But the screenshot looks okay. Seen the same screenshot with other users.

I am just wondering. Did you buy your iPhone in The Netherlands and which iOS version are you using?

Is it possible to put your simcard in another phone (iPhone or Android) and try hotspot with PS5?

No iPhone wasn’t bought in the Netherlalnds. iPhone running iOS 16.1 currently 

Hello Erik and thank you for your time and your help. I really appreciate that. I doubt that Netflix or PlayStation find my network inadequate because i get full bars and really strong connection.

It's not about the connection or data plan. It's more to do with the settings of the simcard and/or hotspot. Playstation specifically can be picky about that. 

Have you tried the alternative APN I listed? That is the one with the least restriction, and as such should work best in your situation.

APN = advancedinternet
MCC = 204
MNC = 08
Verificatietype = niet ingesteld
APN type = default
APN-protocol = IPv4
Roamingprotocol voor APN = IPv4
Drager = niet opgegeven
MVNO-type = Geen

I just visited a kpn store and an employee informed me that there is a Dutch law that prohibits hotspot on such things like Netflix for Dutch numbers that start from 06. Is there such a thing? 

This is not true, I think there's a bit of miscommunication that occured here. Our telecom regulations stipulate that for data only use, you must use a sim card with a phone number starting with 097. The numbers starting with 06 are meant for contracts that also include calling. This means that if you wanted a simcard specifically to use in a mobile router, you would have to get a data only contract, and that would come with a 097 number.

However, you are free to use your own 06-number as a hotspot. That's not a problem.

No iPhone wasn’t bought in the Netherlalnds.

That might also be a factor. 

Reageer