Skip to main content

I have Ziggo TV and internet. In hallway next to entrance in the apartment there is WiFi router and from it goes two cables - one is coax for TV and other is Ethernet cable. That Ethernet cable goes (through walls) to other room (my home office) where I have Switch and connect two computers, printer etc.

Recently KPN installed their fiber optic cables all the way to the same cupboard and they offered me (whole building actually) to switch to KPN.

When I move to KPN - does their new router also connects to ethernet cable with RJ-45? Can I keep my existing infrastructure (ethernet cabling) in home? Or KPN has to put new cables? How do I connect my switch then? Also, I have coax cables leading to two different rooms, for two TV’s. Are they still going to work?

You need to have network cables to all tv's. Because KPN doesn't  use coax for digital tv. Also you need a TV decoder for the signal. And for an a extra tv a extra decoder. One is included in the tv subscription. The other you can choose

You need to have network cables to all tv's. Because KPN doesn't  use coax for digital tv. Also you need a TV decoder for the signal. And for an a extra tv a extra decoder. One is included in the tv subscription. The other you can choose

Sorry, but I don’t understand. My has two parts: 

1. Can I continue to use already existing ethernet (CAT6a RJ-45) connectors and cables cabling for my computers?
  2. TV is connected to internet by WiFi and I am satisfied with that. By also there is TopBox which receives signal by coax and then passes it to TV. Do I get same from KPN? I mean top box whether it is coax or Ethernet cable?  

1. Yes
  2. 2. you don't get a topbox with coax but only a settopbox with ethernet

1. Yes
  2. 2. you don't get a topbox with coax but only a settopbox with ethernet

Thank you very much - does settopbox also provides internet for TV or just KPN channels? I have some subscription such as HBO, Apple Tv etc and for them I use WiFi internet 

Update: I’ve just spoke with KPN support over the phone - for internet - no problem, router has Ethernet ports. So my cabling can be reused. But for TV - no. As KPN is not using Coax, I have to pay for all cables and wall connectors  to be replaced by KPN.

For every television you have to have a ethernet cable. BUT if a ethernet cable is already going to that room you can use a switch to split the cables and bring one to the computer and one to the tv box. Be carefull to buy the correct switch not all switches work with the IPTV from KPN (something with igmp snooping or something). Your tv is maybe also a smart tv, you can use all internet apps through wifi or cabled. But i was talking about the kpn tv box itself.

For every television you have to have a ethernet cable. BUT if a ethernet cable is already going to that room you can use a switch to split the cables and bring one to the computer and one to the tv box. Be carefull to buy the correct switch not all switches work with the IPTV from KPN (something with igmp snooping or something). Your tv is maybe also a smart tv, you can use all internet apps through wifi or cabled. But i was talking about the kpn tv box itself.

I don’t have ethernet cable going to that room, otherwise I wouldn’t have to remove coax cabling and put ethernet cables. Ziggo technician told me it is quite hard next to impossible to put both cables through same pipe and that I have to choose : coax or ethernet.

My TV is Samsung smart 4K TV (bought it two years ago).

Yeah, than you can remove coax from the pipe and put ethernet through indeed. KPN also can use some apps but the smart tv functions on the tv itself also should still work. So you can use both ways. For normal television you get a KPN IPTV box, for the extra tv you should have a extra box, and you can also watch TV with a kpn app on a tablet or mobile.

>Advertisement]

The TV Addon costs 10,00 each months and 4,99 to record programs with it (when you choose 2 televisions you get the record option for free. But also have ot pay 5,00 for the 2nd tv box. If you have fiber internet you can also choose 4K TV for 2,50 extra.

This is above your normal internet costs. But you also see the prices when you choose the offer. The 1GB/s quickest option for fiber is waaay quicker than Ziggo can offer. If you want the quickest internet 1 Gb/s without fixed telephony you pay 57.50 + 2 TV boxes with record and 4K 17.50 = 75,00 (but you have to see the offerwizard for you correct prices) this is just a indication. And is with the best options, maybe you don't need the 4K channels. (the recording of programs is free with 2TV boxes)

Oh yeah and the best thing, if you also have KPN Mobile you can activate hussel for free extra things, this is not automatic! See https://www.kpn.com/hussel

For example: 

Every month € 7,50 discount on the mobile subscription 
€ 5,- Entertainmentdiscount choose discount for Netflix, Spotify, Viaplay, ESPN, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, Disney+ óf Disney+ i.c.m. ESPN
Free Pluspakket for TV € 6,99 /mnd bij TV (25 extra channels, more movies and series. 

And you have the welcome offer, i think it is 2 superwifi points at this moment, most times in the weekends there are other offers like a tablet and even a extra television. But your tv only is 2 years old.  See here for past offers: https://www.kpn.com/welkomstcadeau

[/Advertisement]

I don’t have ethernet cable going to that room, otherwise I wouldn’t have to remove coax cabling and put ethernet cables. Ziggo technician told me it is quite hard next to impossible to put both cables through same pipe and that I have to choose : coax or ethernet.

It depends on how many angles there are in the pipe. If you use Cat5E cabling, it should be possible, but you have to run them through the pipe at the same time maybe.

I even managed to get 3 Cat6 utp cables through one pipe 🙂 but that was without angles...