Skip to main content

Hi. 

Excuse me for using english but I don't trust my knowledge of dutch (and/or google Translate) enough, to describe my issue.
Recently I've learned that my DSL connection will be stopped, and therefore I need to switch to fiber. I received a message that a technician from KPN will come to my place on November 23rd to arrange a new connection. So far, all is clear and nice, but… I’ve looked around my flat and, despite the effort, I didn't find either FTU or NT. What's even more concerning, I found a short piece of cable (I'm guessing it is a fiber optic, it has only one thin core inside) coming from outside into my living room.

I think that this is something that needs to be fixed before the appointment on November 23rd, right?

Is it an orange cable? If it is broken, that technician will make an appointment for KPNnetwork to come by to repair the FTU. 

The mechanic has to see it first before contacting KPNnetwork.

Thank you for clarifying. 

The cable is not orange, but it's closest to the fiber cable that I could find in the flat. Either way, if the technician needs to see it first, I will just wait for his visit. I just wanted to be proactive to save time and confusion later.

Hi @WojciechL . To be honest that doesn't really look like a fibre optics cable. (vind jij wel, @DennisA78 ?)

Can you fill out your profile page and give me a sign in this topic after you have done that?

Hi @WojciechL . To be honest that doesn't really look like a fibre optics cable. (vind jij wel, @DennisA78 ?)

Can you fill out your profile page and give me a sign in this topic after you have done that?

No, that not fibre.

I can't see the inside of the cable, but it looks like coax.

Maybe you have something in the hall below? 

Hi, @Erwin_ . I’m also not fully convinced that it is a fiber. I think that my profile page is filled now. @DennisA78 I did check my flat (outer walls and “meterkast”). It is on the 5th floor of the building (6 gates, 10 floors each). Maybe there is something on the ground floor that I missed, but from what i’ve heard, normally each flat would have cable already running to it.

@WojciechL .  I did some research.  You are going to be migrated from copper to fiber.  (NL type 11, @DennisA78 )  . So there needs to be a fiber point somewhere in the building. By the way, is the building beeing renovated? If so, did they finish already? 

Also: Do you rent? If so, can you ask the woningstichting or person you rent from where the fiber units are situated? 

Thanks @Erwin_ . They are currently renovating building next to mine. They will start working on mine somewhere around April next year.

And do you rent?  If so, please contact the woningstichting/landlord and ask about the fiber units.