Skip to main content

Hello, I am looking for information on the size of the ONT (the fiber box).  They are installing the boxes in my neighborhood but the person that came on the door does not have information on the size.  In the first US installations the boxes were the size of a laptop, now they are the size of a normal electric outlet.  I need this information because I have limited space near my modem.  Also, I need to know if this hooks directly to my existing modem which is not KPN, or if I need another modem or box that connects to my modem.  I have relays throughout the house currently with an additional modem.  If I could have the information on the connection to the house and throughout the house, that would help me to make a better decision.  Additionally, the man on the door said that I can not choose a different network provider, however in the information that I received in the mail, it stated I could choose my own provider.  Thus, the problem is not only “where” to locate a box, and if an additional box is needed in addition to that to connect to my modem, but also if I allow KPN to put the box inside, am I then limited to only using KPN?  Obviously I want to be able to have a choice in what service I choose in the future that best suits my needs and how much it costs.  

Thank you in advance for your help.  I hope my writing in English isn’t a problem, unfortunately although I speak Dutch, I am not familiar with all the terminology for networks, etc. in Dutch. 

Kindest regards,​​​​​​​

First of all: If KPN netwerk of Glaspoort (joint venture with KPN) is building this fiber network, you have a choice of providers. Big and small. Not only KPN. Check www.kpnnetwerk.nl or www.glaspoort.nl for the available providers.

Second question:

The ONT is the active component. I think you mean the FTU (Fiber Termination Unit)

Dimensions of the white FTU are 10x10 cm. The ONT slides over the FTU and is roughly the same size. From the ONT onwards, you need a network cable (CAT5E or higher) to the modem/router. That router may then be located anywhere in the house, as long as you connect it to the ONT via the mentioned CAT cable.

The contractor is obligated to make a reservation for space of 35cm (heigt) x 14 cm (width) due to demands for cables and bend radius. The person that came to your door should have had the sticker (if he was working for KPN Netwerk) that is shown here under.

Check this sticker that is used (dotted line is the reserved space):

After installing the ONT over the FTU: