Skip to main content

I moved into a newly renovated building, 4 apartment units inside (it used to be an old barn). After starting to install my KPN fiber package, I realized there are no ethernet sockets close to the fiber termination box. The building itself has integrated ethernet cables with sockets in the kitchen (probably the same for my neighbours), but I cannot find the other end of these cables in the maintenance cabinet downstairs.

Are these sockets hidden in some special manner?

This is what it looks like:
The red ethernet cable is for my unit, and i just need to plug that end into a socket...that i can’t find

I can literally see the 4 ethernet cables that go through the building here, right below the fiber termination point

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it turns out I was being very stupid 😅

Hi @Blaarkies! Usually these units are placed within someone's house. Basically you're supposed to put that red cable in the WAN port of your router. You can use a longer cable for that if necessary.

I had the KPN technician come in today to check it out. Turns out that the ethernet cables are not connected all the way down to the maintenance cabinet as I expected. The landlord cut cost initially by not placing these cables, so I had to lay a new cable through the conduits today.

At least it works now