Skip to main content

Hello,

My KPN Internet was installed on January 28th.

Almost everyday, the WiFi signal disappears, and I have to power cycle the router to get it back.

The Internet LED is still on, as the others, WiFi is blinking until I power cycle the device.

What to do? It’s unreliable this way!

Thanks

Hi @UltraX, welcome here! You say the wifi led is blinking. That, in and of itself, does not neecssarily indicate a problem.

• Green blinking means there's data transmission going on. Which is good.
  • Orange blinking (slowly) means the WPS function is on and the Box is trying to connect with another device. 
  • Red blinking (slowly) means there are multiple devices trying to connect via WPS at the same time. Or there is a fault with the existing connection.
  • Red blinking (fast) means there's a fault in trying to connect via WPS.

So, to troubleshoot this, I have a few additional questions. Are you experiencing this on all your devices, or on specific ones? Do you have additional wifi access points installed in your house? If so, are they KPN brand Experia Wifi or SuperWifi, or third party products (which)? Where in your house is the KPN Box located, and where in your house do you experience the wifi drops?

Hello,

The KPN WiFi router is broken.

I have to power cycle it 2, 3 times per day!

When the WiFi disappears, it affects all devices in my house, they all lose connection at the same time.

Then, only the powe cycle brings the wifi back, for a few more hours.

It’s DSL. Please, I want to buy a powerful router that it’s compatible with the KPN connection, any recommendation?

Thanks!

I’m thinking about buying a LinkSys WRT3200ACM to replace KPN router.

Where can I find KPN’s PPPoE login and password for the DSL connection?

You shouldn't need to powercycle on a daily basis, @UltraX. That does indicate a problem somewhere. And I would like to take a further look at this. Are you seeing any red lights on the router? If you would fill in your forum profile and let me know when you've done that, I'll run some tests on my side.

Regardless, you are free to use your own devices. If it's just about the wifi, you can choose to disable wifi on our router and connect your own wifi access point(s). But, you can also replace the router completely. All the information needed for that can be found on our webpage for free modem/router choice. The page is in Dutch, but should all be understandable if you run it through Google Translate. But basically, you want to go down the page until you find this block:

Then use the first link ‘Ik wil de servicetool gebruiken’ to get the technical specs of your connection. Then open the VDSL Internet pdf to see what kind of router you will need for your connection.

Hi @Erik_,

Thanks for your reply!

I’m not seeing any red lights, just the WiFi that disappear very often.

It’s interfering with my work! This problem kicks me out of video meetings.

I saved the “forum profile”.

Looking for alternative routers!

I have another question… If I have to pay from my pocket to use KPN Internet at home, what kind of discount could I get?

Maybe KPN have a more powerfull router?

I’m a heavy Internet user! I work with Linux, I usually make a lot of downloads and uploads.

Hi @Erik_,

Thanks for your reply!

I’m not seeing any red lights, just the WiFi that disappear very often.

It’s interfering with my work! This problem kicks me out of video meetings.

I saved the “forum profile”.

I would recommend, for video meetings, to use a cabled connection. Even with good wifi, it will perform better with a cable.

The wifi disappearing, do you have this on all devices, or just on the one you use for video meetings? And does this happen throughout the house, or in specific areas of your house?

Do you have additional KPN wifi access points installed (what we call SuperWifi)? If so, how are they positioned relative to the KPN router?

I have another question… If I have to pay from my pocket to use KPN Internet at home, what kind of discount could I get?

Maybe KPN have a more powerfull router?

I’m a heavy Internet user! I work with Linux, I usually make a lot of downloads and uploads.

Our supplied router is more than capable for heavy use. You do not need to buy your own router. You have, however, the option to do so if you want. But you do not get a discount for using your own devices. And it is also important to keep our router at hand. This because if there is a problem with your connection that you would like our help with, we will alwats ask you to test with our supplied router as well. 

Ok.
As I’ve said before, the WiFi disappears out from all devices at the same time. It just happened now, I lost a meeting.

No adiddional WiFi APs.

It’s fine to use WiFi for video calls, it works from the office, it worked in my previous house in Canada, also, my Macbook don’t even have RJ45. So, it must work with KPN Home WiFi too.

Please, help!

It happens anywhere in the house, even a meter from the router.

Can KPN please send me another, more potent, router?

@UltraX as my colleague Erik already told you: Our supplied router is more than capable for heavy use. I would like to ask you to reset the Box12 by pushing ‘reset’ with a paperclip. 

The provided KPN WiFi router can’t handle a download on a PC and Netflix at the same time in the Smart TV. It’s far from being capable of heavy use. It just doesn’t perform.

And I still have to reset it 3~5 times every single day.

I’ll try to reset it later today after work.

Thanks

Hi @UltraX, how has it been going since your last reply? Did the reset help?

As we've said, the router is more than capable of doing multiple things at the same time.  The hard limit is what broadband connection you have. Which, in your case is a 200 Mbit line and a 200 Mbit contract. So that is what comes in on the router. Which is more than enough for handling video calls, downloads, Netflix etc…

Now, in ideal circumstances, that is also what you can get through wifi. But in less than ideal circumstances, the speeds can be much lower. To assess the circumstances, and get assistance in optimising the wifi, you can run through the Wifi Manager.

Separate from that is the wifi dropping. That should not happen. And if this is still the case after doing the reset my colleague recommended, let me know. We can look into this further. 

Hello Erik,

I performed a RESET on the router about ten hours ago.

I’m surprised to see the difference!

It’s working better now.

But I would like to keep this thread open for at least one week, just to make sure.

Thanks!

Good to hear it has improved, @UltraX! I am going to mark an answer, as a sort of a soft close. But you may always come back here if the problem does come return. We don't usually close-close topics :)