Skip to main content

I have nothing but problems with WiFi, Internet an TV. 

I do a hard reset every weekend, speak to someone on the phone every week, I paid for a monteur to come and fix things .

I do the wifi manager almost every day,  really bad service from KPN.

Just worthless words ! I want my money reimbursed from the monteur appoint. 

Things go OK for 10/20 minutes then the problems start again. 

The neighbour has problems with his Kpn network,  maybe you should look in the junction box or onder the street !

Hi @Bruce Wayne! It's obviously not our intended goal to have the internet drop out at random times. Also the service you described is not what we want you to be able to expect from us. In this case, seeing as there is quite a history to the case, I would like to ask you to fill out your profile. This way I can check our systems to make sure I don't ask you to do any steps you've already done several times and we can get straight to the actual fixing bit. Because there have been several engineers already sent and you say your neighbour has similar issues this might not be an easy thing to fix. So if another ticket needs to be made I will also include any and all information on previous appointments. I can't say anything about the costs that have been made with the previous engineer until I have access to the data. This is because normally these costs are made when the problem is caused by equipment within the customer’s network or if equipment like extra wifi equipment was sold. If that is not the case I can start a process to see if those costs should not have been made. But, as I said before, I don't want to make a promise on that right now. Please let me know here when you filled out your profile and I will get to work to fix the issues. 

@Bruce Wayne do you have a box 12 modem? and are the problems on the Wifi?

then it is probably the band steering of the kpn box 12 modem

the best way to solve these issues is to place your own wifi router behind the box 12 and turning the wifi from the box 12 off

add router to the DMZ and reserve the IP adress.

keep your landline and your TV on the box 12.

Or wait til KPN finaly understands that their firmware is completely crap and pushes correct firmware to solve all of our issues, i do not have the faith that that will happen in a timely manner

Beste Bram,

What is it that you need?

You have my email?

There you can find my client details there, or not ?

My name is Damon Butler,  I'm not giving any more details on a forum site .

@Bruce Wayne the information you put in your profile is accessible only to the KPN employees who moderate this forum. You can recognize those by the KPN logo in the profile picture and the status of “Moderator” under their name, like with me. If you would feel safer sending me the information in a private message I could make an exception in this. What I would need to find you in our systems is either your postcode and housenumber or customer number. To get an idea of what others can and cannot see you could for example click my profile.

@Bruce Wayne the problems you are having are most likely the result of a firmware problem with the Box12 modem. I've sent a request to make changes in the firmware which should help this. It will however be necessary to install the SuperWifi the way it has been in the past. By which I mean one Superwifi installed wired to the Box12 and the second one wireless somewhere else in the residence. It may be needed to reset the SuperWifi for them to function optimally. If so you can use the button for this on the back of the SuperWifi. If you hold that button for about 15 seconds with only the powercable connected and then follow the installation process it should work as intended agian. 

@Bruce Wayne I`m seeing no more stopped connections after saturday. Could you confirm that it seems fixed for now?

Hoi Bram

I have had 2 times that the Internet falls out for a couple of minutes,  it has definitely improved!

I no longer scream and use bad language through frustration. I hope it stays this way ?

Groetjes

Damon 

@Bruce Wayne I dont see any other problems with the connection after the change to your modem was made. This most likely means that the two times you noticed were due to for instance wifi settings. If you had the further connection failure through wifi I would recommend you do our Wifi Manager. This will help you optimize settings. If this connection was with a LAN cable I would like you to please monitor the situation and let me know if it happens further over the rest of the week. If there are still more problems please let me know here on which devices and how many. :relaxed:

OK Bram , thanks for your help! I'm a lot happier .

Today 3/3/22 

The wifi is falling out every 20 mins or so .

Mvg Damon 

The rest of the day the wifi stopped for a few minutes and restarted again.Later when watching football  ( that costs €15 pm) crashed the TV also !

Today 4/1/22

Wifi falling out again .

Groundhog day by KPN ?

:triumph:

@Bruce Wayne do you have a box 12 modem? and are the problems on the Wifi?

then it is probably the band steering of the kpn box 12 modem

the best way to solve these issues is to place your own wifi router behind the box 12 and turning the wifi from the box 12 off

add router to the DMZ and reserve the IP adress.

keep your landline and your TV on the box 12.

Or wait til KPN finaly understands that their firmware is completely crap and pushes correct firmware to solve all of our issues, i do not have the faith that that will happen in a timely manner

this is your solution.

you can wait but even in new firmware the wifi issues will not be fixed, you can read that in the topic.

Invest in a good wifi router.

under 100 euro you have a stable wifi mesh covering your whole house

i have good experiences with the tp-link archer ax-10, around 60 euro because it is a cheap reliable system.

when you place the router in the DMZ of your modem following above procedure. you can turn the wifi from the box 12 off.

you can buy onemesh extenders (starting with the tp-link RE190 for around 18 euro @ action) and place them on strategic locations in your house to boost the range and benefit of no connection loss while walking trough your house.

After connecting the extenders with the WPS option to the TP link you do not have to do any settings at all.

It works with minimalistic setup. 

Thank you once again 

Mvg 

Damon 

@Bruce Wayne as much as I like what Bill Murray did with the roll, I sincerely hope not. One of those today was me because I needed to do a reset from our system in order to plan an engineer to fix the issue. How this takes shape depends on what our investigation finds. We might first try a videocall if we think it's a couple of easy steps you can do at home. We might also contact you to plan an engineer to come directly to your house. Whichever will have the biggest chance of fixing this and not letting the problem reoccur. 

@Francoix I had not seen your reaction as I was planning the engineer and had the topic open from about before you posted. While a lot of what you are saying is true I believe it is also important to work towards a solution for customers without having them pay extra money for a non-KPN modem. There are some issues with the Box12 firmware but we can fix that on a customer to customer basis. Also because we don't hear from the customers who's Box12 works just fine it sometimes may seem like the problem is bigger than it is. @Bruce Wayne it is absolutely true that if you purchase a modem like @Francoix says that this specific issue of connection failure will not happen in the same way. At the same time however you will have to figure some stuff out on your own or with the help of our forum members, like some settings in the new modem. For now I've planned an engineer and expect that to be a decent solution that will make sure the same problem does not come back. If you do wish to purchase the equipment indicated in the topic please let me know here so I can cancel the engineer. Do know that you have a right to functioning services and our best effort to always keep them that way. And I will put in maximum effort to make that happen for you. 

I understand your answer but as long as the bandsteering of the box 12 is not adressed in the upcoming firmware update, and even that update is not expected to be available before march 2022, there is no real solution provided by KPN in a timely manner.

Yes you can plan an engineer, and yes the engineer can fix this for now by disabling the wifi of the box 12 and placing a KPN superwifi point on a ethernet port of the box 12.
(disabling will be done automatically when you place the superwifi)

That will fix it for now but after the next update, then the issue with the bandsteering is back as the wifi of the box 12 will be enabled again.

the  superwifi that will be placed by the KPN engineer will bring te same costs to @Bruce Wayne as buying a non kpn  router/accesspoint will fix these issues forever.

this is why i say that buying an own wifi router is the best solution for now as it is the most cost effective one.