Skip to main content

Dear Forum,

Sorry English, you can answer of course in Dutch many thanks. We. Are having big problems with our home WIFI network. Since working from home it got even worse. We have KPN Glazvesel 200 mbit with the V12 modem/router box.

There is an Apple Time Capsule and an Apple Apple Airport Extreme attached and on those via WIFI or Ethernet Cable each sending out their own WIFI as well. There are gaming consoles, PCs, phones etc. as clients connected (ca. 60). Traffic gets painfully slow or not happening at all sometimes. Only a restart helps then for that stuck device.

UPnP is activated in the KPN Box. Nevertheless the situation is not very good as one of us gets stuck all the time. I know the setting is really bad: Having all those different networks activated, switches attached to the Apple routers (Bridge Mode) doesn‘t help.

Has one of you an idea, how to solve it? Having a mesh network for example? There a some from Netgear or TP-Link with WIFI6. Or do you have another idea as I have to stick with the V12 KPN Box? Many thanks.

Hi @Hergesheimer, it's no problem to help you in English :slight_smile:  if you're having so much trouble with your wifi, I can imagine very well that you want to improve it. 

I think there are multiple options for you to try and think about. First of all, I'm wondering how your wifi is working when you (temporary) disconnect all extra wifi devices, such as the Airport and Time Capsule. When you test your wifi by just using the wifi of the KPN Box 12, how does it function? You could also use our Wifi Manager. This servicetool helps you to check your connection and optimize your wifi connection. I'm wondering if that helps to improve your wifi. 

If you're really in need of extra wifi devices to improve your wifi in your home, you could look into SuperWifi. These are our wifi boosters, maybe even the Wifi Manager advices you to look into them (that happens regularly when someone uses the Wifi Manager :)). We also have a topic with all about installation and use of SuperWifi, in case you'd like to read more about it first. SuperWifi can mesh with your KPN Box 12 wifi, since we started the mesh update for the KPN Box 12.

Dear Forum,

Sorry English, you can answer of course in Dutch many thanks. We. Are having big problems with our home WIFI network. Since working from home it got even worse. We have KPN Glazvesel 200 mbit with the V12 modem/router box.

There is an Apple Time Capsule and an Apple Apple Airport Extreme attached and on those via WIFI or Ethernet Cable each sending out their own WIFI as well. There are gaming consoles, PCs, phones etc. as clients connected (ca. 60). Traffic gets painfully slow or not happening at all sometimes. Only a restart helps then for that stuck device.

UPnP is activated in the KPN Box. Nevertheless the situation is not very good as one of us gets stuck all the time. I know the setting is really bad: Having all those different networks activated, switches attached to the Apple routers (Bridge Mode) doesn‘t help.

Has one of you an idea, how to solve it? Having a mesh network for example? There a some from Netgear or TP-Link with WIFI6. Or do you have another idea as I have to stick with the V12 KPN Box? Many thanks.

The problem with 60+ clients is your beacon threshold. Sadly Experia Box V12 doesn't let you control the threshold. A normal Wifi signal sends out a beacon threshold of 100ms, with that said this means for about a max of 10-15 clients wireless and Wired connected. Every 100ms the router sends out a transmition broadcast to the device (sort of handshake) to see if the device is still on.

Now there is a way to improve your Wifi network, this by putting the beacon threshold to 50-75ms (not lower then 50ms) but as explained before, Experia Box v12 doesn't allow you to change this. By lowering the beacon threshold you basicly let each client uphold the signal longer as it broadcast faster with its transmition, which suffers less from package losses during the transmit, not a lot of people knows this. It is normally called in the router “Beacon Interval”

Lower beacon interval allows faster discovery of the routers because it sends beacons much more frequently. It can help with weak signal with poor reception environments since the devices have better chances of “catching” the beacons when they are sent more frequently.

The other problem can be is the overlapping Wifi channels in your surrounding, the more stronger Wifi signals overlapping the same signal band, the weaker your channel broad will be. There is an app which sadly is only on the google playstore, where you can see how many wifi signals are on the channels from each band (2,4Ghz and 5Ghz) I believe the app is called SSID Wifi Analyzer something like that.

If you are using so many clients (60+) i can give the tip to get a strong triple band router (for myself i am using the TP-Link AX11000, wich has 1x 2,5Gb wanport and 8x 1Gbit lanports + Triband wireless connection up to 160Mhz, this is included Wifi-6 (ax support)

But that decision is up 2 you. 

Thanks a lot to both of you! I think there good things to get out of your answers. First of all KPN came and cleaned the fiber and it got better. I got rid of all other devices establishing their own network. It got better again but not perfect. Also after changing the channels.

I will now try the TP-Link router. It sounds very promising. Thanks again.

Thanks a lot to both of you! I think there good things to get out of your answers. First of all KPN came and cleaned the fiber and it got better. I got rid of all other devices establishing their own network. It got better again but not perfect. Also after changing the channels.

I will now try the TP-Link router. It sounds very promising. Thanks again.

Glad to hear that, thanks for sharing! Don't hesitate to share the outcome of your search for the best solution, or if you’ve got any questions. We’re glad to help :)