Skip to main content

I ordered the switching service today from T-mobile to KPN. At first, the confirmation email shows that KPN can transfer the service on May 11th. But then it gives me another email said the date is changed to August 21th because I have a one year contract with T-mobile. However, when I went to check my T-mobile home, the termination date is still on May 21th. I am a little bit confused now. 

Hi @Jessiezhang, welcome! I can understand your confusion. First things first: the date will be August. 

Some background on the why: switching service is an agreement between providers to provide a seamless transition. But in that agreement is a clause to not break a contract. So, normally when you sign up for us with switching service, we give a plan date. That date is a month in the future (as the standard cancellation term is one month). That plan date we communicate to you and your old provider. Your old provider will also communicate that date to you. Then they just wait.

When the day arrives that your services actually get activated (which might be a different (later) date than the plan date we gave if you use a technician), that is also the day we contact your old provider again. That's the moment we let them know your new services are active, and they can stop the old. They do so effective immediately.

In your case the plan date was May 11. But, when we communicate the plan date, the old provider has the opportunity to protest. Which in this case they did, to indicate that you're still under contract. As a result we've changed the plan date to the end date of your contract. The rest of the process is the same. As soon as you install on or after the 26th, we contact your old provider to have them stop the old contract immediately.

Now, you indicate that your T-Mobile Home environment still says May 11. That usually happens. Old providers tend to keep showing the initial plan date. But, rest assured. They will not stop your services until we have told them your services with us are active. 

Alright, I understand it now. Thanks for your help.