Skip to main content

Hi, 

Unfortunately, my Dutch it’s limited so I will try in English. 

I’ve recently switched providers, from Ziggo to KPN.

Last year I did some renovations and changed most of the cabling around the house. The contractor did change many things, and I also got rid of most of old phone-connectors, coax cabling etc 

My setup has a coaxial cable in an specific room where I have the router and all the tech connected directly to the router over Ethernet. I do want to keep this setup. I don’t want to throw new cabling all over the house just because I’ve switch a provider.

To my surprise, KPN router does not support coaxial cable. I do not have any of the connections they mention in the manual on the house. I was not aware that in the NL each provider required It’s own installation system. 

Is there a way to use a coax cable? Any alternative?

I do have to switch providers the next 20 of May, should I cancel the switch?

To my surprise, KPN router does not support coaxial cable. I do not have any of the connections they mention in the manual on the house. I was not aware that in the NL each provider required It’s own installation system. 

In the Netherlands we have three types of internet services: DSL, optic fiber and cable. Ziggo is one of the major ISP's who work with cable, almost all of the other ISP's around can work with optic fiber or DSL.

Is there a way to use a coax cable? Any alternative?

If you are talking about an inhome coax cable and not the AOP this is possible but it will require some extra equipment, you would need MoCa-adapters, one for each end of the cable. You could place the modem/router near the ISRA or FTU and go with a MoCa to the coax, on the other side would be a MoCa as well, paired with a switch like the Netgear GS105E. It can't be guaranteed to work as the quality of the coax really matters when working with MoCa's.

@NHendriks 

If you are talking about an in-home coax cable and not the AOP this is possible but it will require some extra equipment, you would need MoCa-adapters, one for each end of the cable.

If I am not mistaken, there is a box outside the apartment where the water/gas/electric meter are. The coaxial cable is connected there to an entry point. This one goes all the way up to the apartment and it uses a simple coax-splitter to deliver it to two different places (everything is hidden in the ceiling, no longer accessible). One of the connection goes to a server-rack where I have all the tech connected directly to a switch.

I would expect that the KPN entry point is also somewhere on the same box (where the water/gas/electric meter are). Based on this,  the initial suggestion is to install the router there, and use the coaxial entry point to re-create a ethernet network. In the apartment, a switch will replace the router, and probably a wireless-router to create a WIFI network. Am I missing something?

It seems a bit over complicated to me, but rather do this than throw cables around the house again. The whole point of the renovation was to make the apartment cable-free. The hitting floor limits some options, and most of the old cable-pipes have been changed for other stuff. I will check with the contractor if any telephone cable was left that can be used now.

Does KPN provide any technician service for this? How can I get someone to check the apartment installation?

Hi @mohabouje, welcome to our forum!
You can find more information about this on our website kpn.com/monteur you can also schedule in a technician there.