Skip to main content

Since the last update, the experia v10A is resetting the wifi interfaces every 2 days, at night, 3 AM.

This means that every wifi connection is dropped. We can see it in the system logs:

Aug 18 03:00:48 VRV9517 daemon.err wlan_monitorr4666]: start_monitor::213] V10A is working for more than 2 days.
Aug 18 03:00:48 VRV9517 daemon.err wlan_monitorr4666]: start_monitor::229] Restart wifi interfaces.

Aug 16 03:00:24 VRV9517 daemon.err wlan_monitorr4666]: start_monitor::213] V10A is working for more than 2 days.
Aug 16 03:00:24 VRV9517 daemon.err wlan_monitorr4666]: start_monitor::229] Restart wifi interfaces.

Aug 14 03:00:46 VRV9517 daemon.err wlan_monitorr4666]: start_monitor::213] V10A is working for more than 2 days.
Aug 14 03:00:46 VRV9517 daemon.err wlan_monitorr4666]: start_monitor::229] Restart wifi interfaces.

Why is that? 

I do not think it is a smart thing to drop every customer connection every 2 days. This is affecting us, even if it is done during the night. We need a stable connection for most of the time, and dropping ALL the connection every 2 days is not the way to have it.

Can you please revert back this behaviour?

Hi @SuperMario86, welcome here. 

I haven't heard this one before, but it's quite weird the wifi restarts every 2 days. Have you already reset your modem? Does it solve the problem? 

Thanks for your message, this might explain a lot.

There are many other people that complain about the fact that since the latest firmware update every morning their Sonos equipment lost connection and that they have to restart their V10a to regain connection.

Honestly, I would like to avoid reset the modem as I have a lot of things configured (restoring a saved config might also reintroduce a problem).

As I see in the logs, it seems to be like a scheduled restart of the interfaces after 2 days of uptime, it doesn't seem a restart due to an error or config issue.

Honestly, I would like to avoid reset the modem as I have a lot of things configured (restoring a saved config might also reintroduce a problem).

As I see in the logs, it seems to be like a scheduled restart of the interfaces after 2 days of uptime, it doesn't seem a restart due to an error or config issue.

I totally agree, you should be able to run a router 24x7 without te need to restart it.

It seems that this reset of the wifi interfaces is indeed a scheduled restart and then the question is ... why? Is this a workaround to avoid the V10a crashing due to a memory leak in the wifi functionality?

Ik hope KPN can/will explain this behaviour.

I will notify the engineers. Let's see what they say about the restarts. 

Thank you, please let us know!

I will. 

Any news? It keeps doing this

I will ask @Bart_Z when he is back from vacation.  For now there is no new information, I'm sad to say. 

I asked for an update. Hopefully soon we get more information. 

Any updates? I still have disconnections in the night

Unfortunately not yet. 

Still no news? This issue is there for months, and it is still happening.

No sorry. I notified my colleagues again. 

I heard you've had contact. And if I'm right, the next firmwareupdate will fix it. 

Hello,

yes I had contact!

Explanation is that every 2 days, the router performs a scan to choose the best wifi channel, thus all the wifi connection must be dropped.

Although, I had selected a manual channel, so it is quite strange that the scan is performed anyway.

In the next release, there will be an option to disable the scan.

Thanks!

Alright, thanks for the explanation. 

Explanation is that every 2 days, the router performs a scan to choose the best wifi channel, thus all the wifi connection must be dropped.

It is nonsense that all the connections must be dropped in order to perform a wifi scan. Wifi should stay connect 24x7 and if not it should be corrected bij the supplier of the device (KPN in this case).

Per example, my wifi security camera's are online since the last reboot of my router six month ago and that is how it should be.