Skip to main content

Hi,

Sorry for English. I am an expat, moving to a new apartment. I have ordered a fiber connection from KPN. Apparently a fiber connection is available in my new address. A technician/mechanic from KPN will visit the apartment on May 20th.

The thing is: There is a cupboard right out of the main door. And in the living room, there are only those wall sockets in the picture below.

1. Does the KPN modem have to be placed in the cupboard? (I worry that this would affect the wifi signal very poorly) 
  2. What is the 1st socket for (the most left one in the picture below)? Is it suitable for KPN fiber connection? If it is, would I be able to receive Fiber speed from this socket?
  3. Would the technician make a (new?) connection from the cupboard to the living room (6-7 meters away) and install a newer type socket on the wall? Ethernet/RJ45, etc. Or try to make use of the existing cables inside the wall and simply replace the socket plug?

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Living room sockets:

Cupboard:

Note that the prrevious resident of the house had a (coax) connection from Ziggo. 

Hello @onurmimar , the most left socket on the first photo is a DSL-connection from KPN and/or a connection for a telephone.

The green socket on the right side with the orange cable is the fiberglassconnection were the KPN mechanic places a fiberglas device NT or GPon on the second photo and a KPN-router.

Sorry for my English,but I am Dutch.

Thanks @JanD 

Well then, that means I won’t be able to receive fiber speed inside the apartment?

KPN delivers fiber to your cupboard, but that doesn’t mean the modem needs to be there. Since there are cables from the cupboard to your living room there is a high chance the modem can be installed in the living room if that is the best location. The maximum speed KPN supports at the moment is 1000mb down en 500 upload, this is possible with cat5e or higher so you won’t need fiber in your home.

Since the fiber termination unit isn’t finished yet you will get an technician for the installation who can help you. 

Thanks @Ik_Hussel 

Then what you are saying is this 4-hole DSL plug (on the left in the photo) + its connection to the cupboard, would possibly not be bottleneck for fiber speed inside the apartment, would it?

The 4hole DSL cable can be replaced with a cat5e cable if the other end is in the cupboard. If the living room is the first point it comes in then the coax cable might be replaced.

It is possible to use the phoneline for internet if connected correct but that would be limited to 100mb and I’ve never done that. The replacement of the cable is easy enough. 

@onurmimar  This

can be turned into this

The KPN technician can install this for you.

@Ik_Hussel, for the change of the socket you are charging extra costs right? You find the extra costs on our site. 

@Ik_Hussel, for the change of the socket you are charging extra costs right? You find the extra costs on our site. 

I’m late but that depends on the situation, if it is a wish of the client then we will charge for it (I usually charge around 30 for it, depends on length of the cable)

But is the move is for better WiFi / more connected devices possible then it would be free up to 15 meters.