Skip to main content

Hi. I am renovating my house and as part of it I am moving the main connection point for the internet. KPN are coming to my house to move the location of it. They are moving it to the front of my house. I do not want to place my router in this location though. The router is going to be in the living room.

So the plan is to place a cable from the main internet connection at the front of the house, to the router in the living room. I need to tell my contractor that is building my house to place a certain cable in the floor. I am not sure what cable this should be though. What is the cable that will connect from my router to the main internet connection in the wall? Currently in my old house i have a DSL cable that connects these, but I think DSL is old now and no longer used.

My new house has the ability to get Fiber so does that mean I would need a fiber cable going from the router to the main internet socket in the wall? 

Are they coming to move the Fiber connection point or the old phone line(DSL)?

You make it sound as if you have the possibility for a fiber connection but they are coming to move the old phone line cable.

Anyway, the fiber cable comes into the house and into the fibre connection point, after that it's a normal utp network cable to your modem/router. Cat5e or preferably Cat6 will be fine. 

For the phone line it's basically the same, the old DSL cables use 4 copper wires, the new network cables have 8. So if the contractor is laying cables, best to ask for Cat5e or Cat6 cables, any technician can always make a dsl cable out the newer network cable for you. And if you ever need to use the cable as a normal network cable, then you won't have to replace the whole cable, just the connectors themselves. 

Are they coming to move the Fiber connection point or the old phone line(DSL)?

You make it sound as if you have the possibility for a fiber connection but they are coming to move the old phone line cable.

Anyway, the fiber cable comes into the house and into the fibre connection point, after that it's a normal utp network cable to your modem/router. Cat5e or preferably Cat6 will be fine. 

For the phone line it's basically the same, the old DSL cables use 4 copper wires, the new network cables have 8. So if the contractor is laying cables, best to ask for Cat5e or Cat6 cables, any technician can always make a dsl cable out the newer network cable for you. And if you ever need to use the cable as a normal network cable, then you won't have to replace the whole cable, just the connectors themselves. 

I have just read the form KPN sent me and it says this

De prijs van € 299,00 per te verplaatsen glasvezelaansluitpunt is gebaseerd op het uitvoeren van een verplaatsing binnen het verblijfsobject waar het huidige glasvezelaansluitpunt zich bevindt en waarbij de verplaatsing binnen een straal van 15 meter van het huidige glasvezelaansluitpunt plaats vindt. Mocht op locatie blijken dal er meenryerk aan de verplaatsing ten grondslag
ligt, dan zal de verplaatsing niet uitgevoerd worden, maar ontvangt u hiervoor separaat een o{ferte

The text was copied from a scanned image so I am not sure if the spellings are 100% correct. I translated it and it says the fiber connection is being moved. So from the Fiber point they are moving, I can connect from there to my router using a normal ethernet cable?

Is the DSL cable required or is that only needed if I want a phone in the house? Because I dont actually need a phone so I can tell the contractor that a DSL cable is not needed.

Yes, you can use a normal network cable from the fiber point.

DSL/phone cable is for the DSL network or for inhome use of a DECT phone station. But otherwise no longer necessary and best replaced with a normal network cable or removed if in the way. 

Yes, you can use a normal network cable from the fiber point.

DSL/phone cable is for the DSL network or for inhome use of a DECT phone station. But otherwise no longer necessary and best replaced with a normal network cable or removed if in the way. 

Thanks for the help. Is Cat7 okay too so I can make it more future proof?

Yes, that's fine too, just a bit expensive. Your call. :wink:

Yes, that's fine too, just a bit expensive. Your call. :wink:

Ok thanks for the help

Hi @kfisher welcome on our board. 

@gjtm has been very helpful. Thanks for that G! 

Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.Â