Skip to main content

I just upgraded to an experiabox V10, and 2 SuperWifi versterkers, and am now having problems with “uitval” van my TV signal. It happens most every night since I have installed the new equipment, but it happens around 1 to 2 hours after we have turned on the TV, which is usually around 9pm or 10pm, so it is definitely not maintenance....

I have an ethernet cable that goes from my V10 to a splitter, and from the splitter I have one cable that goes to my office (for wired internet) and the other side goes to my ethernet-coax-ethernet connection to my 2 TV’s and one computer. When the TV goes out, everything that is going through the ethernet-coax-ethernet connection is out, but the direct ethernet connection from the splitter is OK. So I think it must be something to do with the ethernet-coax-ethernet connection.

It only lasts 10 to 15 minutes, and then it comes back on without having to re-set anything, so it is definitely not due to bad connections or anything simple like that…..

By the V10 modem, I have a Hirschmann Multimedia Gigabit Internet over Coax unit, which goes to a coax splitter/versterker. From this splitter, the three coax lines go to 2 x TV’s and 1 X ethernet internet point for a laptop. The ethernet internet point has also a Hirshcmann Coax Adapter, and the other points at the TV’s have Coax Verbindingsadapters supplied by KNP (Teleste EOC-03). All units are MoCA 2.0 compatible (or so they say…..).

Any ideas of what might be happening? Thanks for your help.

Hi CCAR, welcome to the forum! Based on your description it does seem that the problem originates with the ethernet-coax-ethernet part. Unfortunately, that is not something we can fix. This manner of connection, while definitely possible, is not the one we would recommend. Even though we can, on occasion, supply the Coax Verbindingsadapters. So, while it works, perfect. But if it doesn't work, or doesn't work well, there's not really anything I can do except recommend to replace the coax with ethernet. 

What do you mean?  KPN offers this as part of their equipment….  Or does KPN no longer offer this?

3 of the 4 Coax Verbindingsadapters were supplied by KPN when I signed up for service.  The only reason I introduced the Hirshcmann Coax Adapter was that one of the ones supplied by KPN was old - MoCA 1.0, and it did not work with the MoCA 2.0 Hirshmann.

So are you saying that KPN no longer supports this technology?  And only offers TV services via ethernet??

We offer these coax adapters in specific situations where direct ethernet connection is not an option. However, customer service support of them is on the basis of best effort. And within that we don't really have anything else besides the regular sequence of check cables - reboot - reset - see if it is possible to use a direct ethernet connection. The option after that is our Tech Desk. You add this to you package through the MijnKPN environment for €5 p/m. If you then call customer service at 0800-0402, you will be patched through to them. They offer support on almost anything.

That being said, how did you get these coax adapters? Did they come with the installation package, or did you get them via the installation technician? And, how long ago was that? If shorter than two years, I can see if we can replace it under guarantee.

Thanks Erik.  These Coax Adapters came from KPN when we signed up for the All-in-1 Premium service, so they were supplied by KPN.  I paid KPN EUR 150 for these 3 adapters (2 x Coax verbindingsadapter V2 @ EUR 50/stuk, and 1 x Coax verbindingsadapter @ EUR 50/stuk).  This was back in 2015.  I added the Hirschmann adapters when I expanded the system to include one more coax-ethernet connection, and after I changed out my Experia V9 to an Experia V10 and started having these signal problems to begin with. 

EOC is the only way I can get TV service from KPN, so if it isn’t working properly, and KPN is not supporting this equipment anymore or cannot make it work, then I should not have to pay for the TV portion of my Alles-in-1 Premium service…..? 

I will call technical service, but a simple “check cables-reboot-reset” is not the problem.  It is something more complex I’m afraid, and if it can’t be fixed, I can’t watch TV for longer than 1 hour without a 15 minute disruption every time……

Let me know what you think I should do next….

Thanks.

Please fill in your forum profile and reply when you've done so, CCAR. I'm gonna see what we can do about this. And if that is something I can facilitate in, or if we need a different department or something.

Thanks Erik.  Profile completed.  I look forward to any direction and advise you can give me.

Alright, I've done first some basic checks on your connection and that all looks good. Now, on the ‘uitval'. There's a few different ways that can show itself, so, what exactly happens? Screen goes to black or is there an error? If it goes to black, is the menu still visible, or is that gone, too? If that is also gone, do you still see the channel number on the display of the tv box? 

Also, that splitter, what exactly is it (brand and type)? Or is that already the Hirschmann?

Here is how the EOC connections are wired:

Cat5 ethernet cable from Experia V10 to Netgear ProSAFE GS105 Gigabit Switch (splitter).

Cat5 ethernet cable from Netgear ProSAFE splitter to Hirschmann Gigabit internet over coax adapter INCA 1G.

Coax cable from Hirschmann to ASTRO AL6FC coax versterker (photo available if you want).

CONNECTION POINT #1:  Coax cable from ASTRO coax versterker to TELESTE EOC-03 coax adapter. Then, Cat5 ethernet cable from TELESTE EOC-03 to ARRIS VIP2952 TV ontvanger, then HDMI cable from ARRIS TV ontvanger to TV.

CONNECTION POINT #2:  Coax cable from ASTRO coax versterker to TELESTE EOC-03 coax adapter. Then, Cat5 ethernet cable from TELESTE EOC-03 to ARRIS VIP2952 TV ontvanger, then HDMI cable from ARRIS TV ontvanger to TV.

CONNECTION POINT #3:  Coax cable from ASTRO coax versterker to identical Hirschmann EOC unit, then Cat5 ethernet cable to laptop computer.

Usually, after watching TV for an hour or two, the TV screen freezes, and we get first an error code of 842 (I think this is right) on the TV ontvanger, and then it switches to 143, saying that there is no connection and to check our ethernet cables.  The internet is working fine at the V10, and the only connections on the network that are not working are the ones going through the EOC adapters. 

All three of these connections fall out when it goes down.

I hope this information helps.

By the way, I have tried bypassing the ASTRO Coax Splitter/versterker, and gone directly from the main Hirshmann EOC adapter to the coax cable running to the TELESTE EOC unit, and this did not seem to make a difference.  So I don’t think that it is the ASTRO Coax Splitter/versterker, but can’t be 100% sure...

Excellent, thank you! From that I have identified a likely culprit, which is the Netgear GS105. The problem with this specific device is that it does not support IGMP snooping. We have an article here (in Dutch) that explains what it is, and why it's important. If you use a switch without IGMP snooping it can work well for a long time. But as you introduce more devices into your home network, it can become the bottleneck. Which will generally show itself as the kind of interruptions and errors you describe. I recommend replacing the GS105 with the GS105E which does support IGMP snooping (all Netgear models that end in E have IGMP snooping). 

Many thanks Erik.  I have ordered the GS105E, and will let you know if this does the trick.  The only doubt I have is that there are two connections that come from the Netgear GS105 spliter.  The first is the TV EOC adapter (Hirschmann), and the second is an ethernet cat5 cable to a desktop computer. And only the TV connection goes out, not the other ethernet connection.  So maybe the disruption is specific to the EOC adapter/TV ontvangers.  I’ll let you know.

Many thanks for the good support.

And only the TV connection goes out, not the other ethernet connection.  

That is the expected behaviour if IGMP snooping is the problem.

The tv signal is sent out as multicast. Which means the Experia Box makes the signal available to all devices in your network. The protocol it uses for that is called IGMP (Internet Group Management Policy). Then devices in your network will indicate whether or not they would like to receive the tv signal. When the tv boxes are directly connected to the Experia Box, they can communicate about this directly as well. 

However, when there's a switch involved, the communication also goes through that. So what happens then is this: the tv box will send a signal to the Experia Box letting it know it wants the tv signal. The Experia Box receives this and in reply will send the tv signal. That signal then first reaches the switch.

Now, if this switch does not support IGMP snooping, it does not properly understand what the Experia Box is saying and it will distribute the tv signal over all available ports it has. This can cause the tv box to receive a low quality signal resulting in interruptions and errors.

If the switch does support IGMP snooping, it will understand that the signal was requested specifically by the tv box, and it will only pass it through to that port/device. 

In your case there's some added complication because of the Coax adapters, but I would still think that the different switch will make a difference.

Excellent, thank you! From that I have identified a likely culprit, which is the Netgear GS105. The problem with this specific device is that it does not support IGMP snooping. We have an article here (in Dutch) that explains what it is, and why it's important. If you use a switch without IGMP snooping it can work well for a long time. But as you introduce more devices into your home network, it can become the bottleneck. Which will generally show itself as the kind of interruptions and errors you describe. I recommend replacing the GS105 with the GS105E which does support IGMP snooping (all Netgear models that end in E have IGMP snooping). 

Great Erik.  And so far, so good!  I installed the new splitter over the weekend, and we have not had any disturbances since!  So (fingers crossed) I think we might have solved the problem!  Many thanks for the expert support!  It is very much appreciated, and I was starting to wonder if I would ever get it all fixed and working properly….!  Well done!

Excellent, good to hear!