Skip to main content

I had KPN on my old phone (Huawei P8 Lite 2017, Android 😎 for years with no problem. I just got a new phone and gave my old phone to my wife. We got a KPN sim card for her on the Huawei and set it up. Only problem is, the KPN voicemail now does not work on the Huawei. She called 1233 and set up the voicemail on her new account, created a greeting, etc. People can call her number and leave a message, and she can call 1233 and retrieve messages. The problem is: the Huawei notification bar does not display an icon when a voicemail is waiting. When the Huawei was my phone this worked fine. But with her new sim card we can't get the notifications to work. I tried re-installing MijnKPN and the KPN Voicemail app from the Google play store. MijnKPN installs and works fine. Voicemail app installs, but in its initial setup the app hangs at the initial sign-in (displays "Signing in. Please Wait.") so I can't do anything there. If the phone notifications come from the voicemail app maybe that's why I don't get any new-voicemail notifications. But I don't know. Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Hi @cnb, welcome. 

It's worked fine, but now your wife is using her number with the phone, she doesn't get any voicemail notifications. 

Have you already deleted the voicemail app and tried it again? 

And when you call voicemail and go to settings? Are the notifications on?

Hoe stel ik een 'Notificatie' in?

1. Ga naar het 'hoofdmenu' Toets 2 voor 'Instellingen'
  2. Toets 4 voor 'Notificatie'
  3. Toets 1 voor 'Notificatie-instellingen'

Thank you Bart for your reply. Yes, I deleted the voicemail app, restarted the phone, reinstalled the app, and tried again. It did not help. And yes, notifications are set correctly. I tried these and many other things. Nothing helped. 

In the end I gave up and did a full factory reset of the phone and started over. Of course I backed everything up first, so it was not so difficult to reinstall everything. It worked and I was able to get the voicemail to function correctly. 

As a bonus I also got an extra 5GB of storage - not bad for a phone that has only 16GB. Deleting everything and starting over has its advantages! My wife is now very happy :)

Anyway, the problem is fixed now.  Thanks again for your reply.

Aha a fresh start did the trick. Nice and thanks for sharing. 🙂 Have a nice day!