Skip to main content

I decided to move from Ziggo to KPN because we recently got fiber in the neighborhood, and KPN is faster.

i ordered the 4Gbps up/down service.  They sent me a Fritzbox 5590. I phoned them and said that it won’t work because the Fritzbox only has a 2.5Gbps port to link up with my LAN.  I then asked if I can get a KPN Box 14 (which has 10Gbps WAN and LAN ports) but they said that it isn’t ready for shipping.

So I forked out €600 to buy a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro Max.  I get close to full speed down, but I CANNOT get more than 1Gbps up. I’ve changed cables and SFPs - I cannot get more than 1Gbps UP.

I was on the phone with them for 45mins today. They confirmed that the Fritzbox can’t deliver 4Gbps. They confirmed that they can’t send a KPN BOX 14.  And lastly they said they cannot troubleshoot Uniquiti.

I understand that they can’t troubleshoot my device, but then send me a device capable of achieving the speed you are advertising and that I’m paying for!!!

I suspect it has nothing to do with hardware, but somewhere there is an upload rate limit setting on my account, limiting me to 1Gbps UP.  But of course they’re saying there is nothing wrong.

I would appreciate the community’s assistance to resolve this - or for KPN to send an engineer, with a KPN 14 box, to test my fiber.

This is my speedtest.

@NHavenga :

It appears there may have been a misunderstanding. When you subscribe to an internet service with KPN, a suitable modem for your type of connection is automatically provided. Therefore, you should have received either a Box 12 or Box 14. If you did not receive a modem, or if your personal hardware is not adequate, please contact our support team. They will arrange to send you the appropriate modem.

I can't help you with own hardware. but we do have a checklist → 

Hi @Erwin van KPN.  I have been through these step - still no change.

I received a Fritzbox 5590 which cannot deliver 4Gbps.

Your own website says to have 4Gbps you need the KPN Box 14:

Here is the screen grab of my conversation with my “delivery manager” from KPN:

So in short, KPN is selling a 4Gbps product, shipping hardware that cannot support it, and then saying that you cannot deliver me the KPN 14 box (which KPN SAYS is required for 4Gbps), then advises my to BUY a router that can support it only for KPN to say they cannot support me on it?

Help me our here, what am I missing??

You shut have received a Box 14 for the subscription unless you selected Fritz!box while ordering.
Are you new or already existing customer, also normaal or zakelijk (business) ?

Also, that app conversation, how and where you did that ?

Business user.  I did not ask for the Fritzbox and even after I saw a Fritzbox was being sent - this is what the delivery manager said:

I believe the don't send the v14 to business users, indeed a Fritz!box 5590.
​​​​@Ik_Combineer can tell probably more about this out of experience off the field.

But then you cannot sell a 4Gbps product to business users?  The Fritzbox has a maximum of 2.5Gbps connection to a LAN.

Whatever the case, I bought a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro which can do 10Gbps, and still my upload is under 1Gbps.

I need KPN to please fix my upload speed - this is my main/only issue.

But then you cannot sell a 4Gbps product to business users?  The Fritzbox has a maximum of 2.5Gbps connection to a LAN.

Spread over all ports the Fritz!box can deliver 6.5 Gbps at the same time, in that case KPN meets the 4 Gbps subscription. 

The consumenten Box v14, has a 10 Gbps WAN + LAN, so that also meets the 4 Gbps subscription.

Whatever the case, I bought a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro which can do 10Gbps, and still my upload is under 1Gbps.

I need KPN to please fix my upload speed - this is my main/only issue.

Are you connected trough ONT or Fiber ?

I remember that i saw somewhere in this forum a while ago, that the Dream Machine Pro only can does full speed with a v14 connected and not directly on the ONT.

I will try to find that topic!

Wist jij hier niet meer vanaf @Kruiffie ?

@SaltyBart @Kruiffie Thanks for your response.

I’m connected via CAT7 from the Nokia ONT to a 10Gbps port on my Ubiquiti.

I’m getting close to 4Gbps on downloads, uploads are stuck at below 1Gbps.

My suspicion is this. I had 1Gbps, which was upgraded to 4Gbps.  I suspect KPN never removed the rate limiting on my upload.  But to get them to check this is clearly impossible.

My suspicion is this. I had 1Gbps, which was upgraded to 4Gbps.  I suspect KPN never removed the rate limiting on my upload.  But to get them to check this is clearly impossible.

Did you already cut off the power for two minutes from the ONT, for a reboot ?

Hi @SaltyBart, yes I did.  I even went back and connected the Fritzbox again.  Here is the speedtest result from my 2.5Gbps connected computer.  Upload slightly better, but not close to what I should be getting.

Wist jij hier niet meer vanaf @Kruiffie 

I know that my UXG Pro on it's own will not and can not achieve full 4 Gb speeds in both directions.

Up untill now the PPPOE capabilities are not great @NHavenga 

OOKLA or othermeasured line speeds are more or less theorethical. In my current setup with UXG Pro behind the 10 Gb port from the Box 14 the practical limits are close to maximum down but never above 630 Mb/s. Why”i suppose that there are limits in place for filehosters upload speeds. My ,ain upload target for back-ups is a 600Mb/s Ziggo connection. That one i can utilise completely.

This is not true

This is not true

Ik was in de war met deze opmerking:
Neemt KPN de Fritzbox 5590 op in het modem aanbod? | KPN Community

A business user cannot use a box14 unless they have “kleinzakelijk”. A box14 is a consumer product and is not developed for businesses. So if you get a Fritz!Box with SFP then you are probably a KPN EEN customer and that is the modem KPN delivers with a 4Gb contract. You get 1 2,5GB port and 4 1gb ports.

@Ik_Combineer I think you have this right.  I am a KPN EEN customer.

Had I known this, I would have gone for kleinzakelijk.

This still however doesn’t explain why my brand new Uniquiti Dream Machine Pro Max cannot upload at more than 1Gbps.  Even connecting the Fritzbox, with a 2.5Gbps cable to my computer, barely gets over 1Gbps.

@Ik_Combineer I think you have this right.  I am a KPN EEN customer.

Had I known this, I would have gone for kleinzakelijk.

This still however doesn’t explain why my brand new Uniquiti Dream Machine Pro Max cannot upload at more than 1Gbps.  Even connecting the Fritzbox, with a 2.5Gbps cable to my computer, barely gets over 1Gbps.

That machine cant handle 1Gbps+ speeds

@MR_CHIP Which machine? Dream machine pro max?

@MR_CHIP Which machine? Dream machine pro max?

I read lots of issues on tweakers forum people switching to other brand routers

@MR_CHIP I get 3.5Gbps down on the router.  The Dream Machine Pro Max was launched this year and is advertised to have a routing speed of 5Gbps.

My point is still, even if the router can only do half of the throughput it advertises, I should still manage to get at least 2.5 Gbps upload - but I’m barely getting 1Gbps.

before I had 4Gbps, I had 1 Gbps also through KPN.  I seriously suspect that they forgot to change the upload rate limit when they did the upgrade.

@NHavenga

UDM Pro Max - throughput tests (including PPPoE)

DHCP, DPI, DNS Shield and Ad Blocker

Down:

[sum] 0.00-60.04 sec 64.0 GBytes 9.15 Gbits/sec  6      sender
rSUM] 0.00-60.00 sec 63.9 GBytes 9.15 Gbits/sec         receiver
Up:

:SUM] 0.00-60.00 sec 64.7 GBytes 9.26 Gbits/sec 2518      sender
eSUM] 0.00-60.04 sec 64.7 GBytes 9.26 Gbits/sec         receiver
---

PPPoE, DPI, DNS Shield and Ad Blocker

Down:

SUM] 0.00-60.00 sec 28.0 GBytes 4.01 Gbits/sec         receiver
Up:

cSUM] 0.00-60.00 sec 18.9 GBytes 2.70 Gbits/sec 3056      sender
3SUM] 0.00-60.05 sec 18.9 GBytes 2.70 Gbits/sec         receiver
---

@MR_CHIP I get 3.5Gbps down on the router.  The Dream Machine Pro Max was launched this year and is advertised to have a routing speed of 5Gbps.

My point is still, even if the router can only do half of the throughput it advertises, I should still manage to get at least 2.5 Gbps upload - but I’m barely getting 1Gbps.

before I had 4Gbps, I had 1 Gbps also through KPN.  I seriously suspect that they forgot to change the upload rate limit when they did the upgrade.

Well there is nowhere you are getting the box 14 anyways so

And what if you install the Fritzbox? Because then you should at least be able to get 2,5Gb up and down from the WAN port. 

Hi @SaltyBart, yes I did.  I even went back and connected the Fritzbox again.  Here is the speedtest result from my 2.5Gbps connected computer.  Upload slightly better, but not close to what I should be getting.

He already did that @Ik_Combineer, not much improvement.

Reageer