Skip to main content

I left the Netherlands in the middle of March, and put in a cancellation request for home internet, and 4 mobile accounts.

3 of the four accounts were cancelled, and one (which had an outstanding device payment remaining) wasn’t.  I paid the oiutstanding amount in April, and re-requested the account be cancelled, using the same details as the original reqwuest.  I have now been bouncing around in some KPN bot hell being asked continuously for the same documentation that has been provided multiple times already.

I have just gone to my bank to block the last two months of billing as I am beyond frustrated.

JKPN won’t give an option to talk with someone abroad, and won’t end my sunbsrciption, even though our accounts were all up in April amyway - why has this single mobile account been renewed for another year despite my repeated requersts for it to be cancelled ?

What do I need to do now to finally end this ?

Hi @Aussie_1, welcome! I can imagine this is, and has been, a frustrating experience. I'll not give you the standard answers about how to request the cancellation and such, as it's clear that you understand that process. Would you fill in your forum profile with the data of the un-cancelled contract? I'll take a look at what's going on. And what needs to be done. 

Hi Erik,

Very good to hear from you - I have filled out the profile information (using my ex-Dutch address details)

Thank you, @Aussie_1. I've looked into it and I see that your most recent request to cancel has been accepted and processed. The contract will be terminated per July 13 (as our system enforces a month's cancellation term). Reimbursement for the costs back to your migration date has been processed on your June bill that was created yesterday. You should be able to see it in your MijnKPN.  After the termination has been processed, there will be a final bill for any remaining credit.

Thanks you so much Erik.

Hi Erik,

Sorry to come back directly to you, but I have just received a 250 euro invoice from KPN - and I have no idea what for - the bill just says One Off charge.

Do you know what this is for, and why they would be charging it now ?

Thanks

I've looked into it, @Aussie_1, and it seems my earlier answer was wrong. My apologies for that.

The evidence you submitted was the ‘aangifte’ of your emigration, and the not confirmation of it. This evidence was accepted as valid to cancel your contract without fee. But not as valid for migration. As an ‘aangifte’ is just the notice that you intend to leave. It could, conceivably, be canceled. Which is why we require the confirmation as evidence, instead.

So, the contract was canceled, but according to the regular rules of cancellation. Which means that the one month cancellation term was upheld and your contract cancelled on July 13. It also means that there is no credit going back to your migration date. 

What was done, though, is to waive the fee. Normally, when you cancel within your contract term, you have to pay a fee equal to the remaining months of your contract. This was waived for you, but our system can't process that. So, what the colleagues did was enter a credit to the same amount of the cancellation fee (245 euros). That credit was processed on the june bill, causing you to get that money back. And now that the contract has been terminated, you have received the closing bill which contains the fee.

Hi Erik,

The thing is, I only signed up for a 2 yr contract originally - my contract should have ended in April 2024 - so I don;t understand why when I have requested a cancellation, KPN have continued to bill me after the contract end date.

There should be no contract to get a fee charged for 4 months against!

That is true, you signed up for a two year sim only contract in april 2022. But then, in October 2023, you broke open that contract by renewing with a mobile phone. Which means that the old contract was canceleld and a new two-year contract started. With your new end of contract date being October 2025. Which means that you were within contract term when you requested the cancellation.

What !!

There was no 2 yr commitment mentioned !

I only had a visa to March on 2024 - I couldn’t had signed up for longer than that !

And I paid out that phone in April when we left !

That behaviour is just criminal.

Disgusting and criminal.

If you renew with a mobile phone on (partial) credit, it always comes with a two-year contract. You have the option to pay off the phone sooner if you want (or need) to. But that doesn't change the terms of contract for the rest of the subscription. I'm sorry to hear this was not made clear to you at that time.

The conditions of the renewal are listed in the contract you received with the renewal. You then had a 14 day free cancellation period. That is the period for if you change your mind, or you find that something isn't quite as you expect it to be. It gives you the opportunity to cancel without consequences. Or have things changed if need be. If you do not make use of that, we assume everything is in order. And then after the 14 days your contract goes into full effect. Including it's two-year term.

I give up - so the reason I am being charged is the notice to leave form wasn’t the final formal formn that KPN require, even thoughI am out of the country.

I hope i never need to use KPN in the future - this is ridiculous.

Reageer